More kem kem teeth to ID

Miocene_Mason

These teeth were all bought together, I'm guessing they are labeled more or less correctly, but I want y'all to varify. First was labeled pterosaur, so I'm guessing sirroccopteryx? The next was labeled carcharodontosaurus, which I'm guessing is correct. Lastly a tooth labeled dromeosaur, and from what I can gather, these teeth are from an indeterminate taxon?

Scan_0009.jpg

Scan_0008.jpg

Scan_0006.jpg

Scan_0005.jpg

Scan_0004.jpg

Scan_0003.jpg

I can take more pictures, just tell me the angle.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The first one is probably a pterosaur, but Im not an expert on pterosaur teeth. THe second one looks suspiciously like a mosasaur tooth based on the texture and lack of serrations. The third one, it might be a raptor tooth. But of course, I need an expert to vertify this.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

28 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

The first one is probably a pterosaur, but Im not an expert on pterosaur teeth. THe second one looks suspiciously like a mosasaur tooth based on the texture and lack of serrations. The third one, it might be a raptor tooth. But of course, I need an expert to vertify this.

The second one had large serrations on bothe sides, the scanner didn't pick them up for some reason,the supposed raptor had serrations as well. I'm gonna use natural light tomorrow.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The second does look like a carch tooth, but i would be more focused on that tip which appears to mismatch the rest of the tooth. There is a pretty clear line where the texture and colour changes. Looks like a composite to me. In the second photo, the distal edge of the tooth clearly widens suddenly where that join is with the tip...

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

5 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Looks like a composite to me.

I sorta agree. can we have some more photos?

8 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

The second does look like a carch tooth, but i would be more focused on that tip which appears to mismatch the rest of the tooth. There is a pretty clear line where the texture and colour changes. Looks like a composite to me. In the second photo, the distal edge of the tooth clearly widens suddenly where that join is with the tip...

8 hours ago, Foozil said:

I sorta agree. can we have some more photos?

It does appear the tip has been glued on and the crack has been covered with glue of the same color, I'm not sure if it is because the tip fell off and has been glued back on, or if it's composite, here's some better pictures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

On the posterior edge of the "dromeosaur" tooth, there are serrations

Happy hunting,

Mason

I still think it's a composite. The tip appears to come from a considerably larger tooth than the base it's now attached to. Look at the size difference in the enamel 'veins' that run up the crown. They are much larger and more prominent on the tip portion. 

• I found this Informative 2

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

3 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

I still think it's a composite. The tip appears to come from a considerably larger tooth than the base it's now attached to. Look at the size difference in the enamel 'veins' that run up the crown. They are much larger and more prominent on the tip portion. 

I'm not to bothered, means I got two carcharodontosaurus teeth for the price of one! Any ideas on the other one?

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'm not to bothered, means I got two carcharodontosaurus teeth for the price of one! Any ideas on the other one?

Great answer!

Pterosaurid sp. - that's as best ID you'll get as not much is known about pterosaurids from Kem Kem

Carch or two :D

Abelisaurid indet

12 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Great answer!

Pterosaurid sp. - that's as best ID you'll get as not much is known about pterosaurids from Kem Kem

Carch or two :D

Abelisaurid indet

Abelisaurid, I'm fine with that for now! Now I gotta get an actual dromeosaur tooth....

Happy hunting,

Mason

The Carch is composite. Not sure on the other tooth, it's theropod. Maybe abelisaur, maybe something else.

The first tooth needs some better photos to properly judge. There's one toothed Pterosaur known from Kem Kem. Siroccopretyx moroccensis. As far as I know their teeth are generally flattened. If it's round it's either Croc or Spinosaurid.

The second tooth definitely looks like Carcharodontosaurid. And I agree with the others that it might be a composite. It's definitely repaired at the very least.

The last tooth needs some better photos as well. @Troodon might know more.

Also definitely add a type of scale like a coin or ruler in your photos.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

7 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

The first tooth needs some better photos to properly judge. There's one toothed Pterosaur known from Kem Kem. Siroccopretyx moroccensis. As far as I know their teeth are generally flattened. If it's round it's either Croc or Spinosaurid.

The second tooth definitely looks like Carcharodontosaurid. And I agree with the others that it might be a composite. It's definitely repaired at the very least.

The last tooth needs some better photos as well. @Troodon might know more.

Also definitely add a type of scale like a coin or ruler in your photos.

The pterosaur tooth is flattened. I'll see if I can get some better pictures, but no guarantees with an idevice. I'll see if a can work the scanner correctly as well.

Happy hunting,

Mason

If it's flattened there's a good chance it's indeed pterosaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite