8/26 or 8/27: Mazon Creek Fossil Collecting Trip (Fundraiser for the Non-Profit I&M Canal Corridor Association) - $150 per day

RoadcutHannah

8/26 or 8/27 - Mazon Creek Fossil Collecting Trip (Fundraiser for the Non-Profit I&M Canal Corridor Association) - $150 per day: This is a WONDERFUL collecting opportunity at the very site where the Mazon Creek fossils were originally found in the 19th Century. The fossils found here are often of superior quality, and vary from ferns, to entire logs, to insects, fish, or even those rare specimens! You keep whatever fossils you find. Bring a few 5-gallon buckets, your rock hammer, and be prepared to walk in the river and get wet. Mosquito spray is a great idea as well, and don't forget your camera! The dinner they provide is seriously first-rate (usually grilled steak or chicken with all the fixin's, and they often have wine and beer included), and you cannot beat the atmosphere of eating great food outside at the farm! I know it seems expensive, but believe me,this fundraiser is worth every single penny (and it goes to a good cause - the I&M Canal Corridor Association). Make your reservations now! Follow the directions found here: https://iandmcanal.org/mazon-fossil-tour/ 

Fern.jpg

Fish.jpg

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

Looks like a great time!

The Mazon Creek is on my bucket list, a little more notice and I may have been able to join ;) 

Maybe next year!

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Looks like a great time!

The Mazon Creek is on my bucket list, a little more notice and I may have been able to join ;) 

Maybe next year!

They have this trip roughly the same weekend every year - so plan now for next year! If you're coming from a long way away I could probably help you out as well...

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

1 minute ago, RoadcutHannah said:

They have this trip roughly the same weekend every year - so plan now for next year! If you're coming from a long way away I could probably help you out as well...

Hey just looked it up, only about 900 miles. 14 hours one-way.

That's not much worse than Denver to Phoenix and I did that trip in 2 days.

I could take a relaxing 4 day trip!

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, RoadcutHannah said:

I know it seems expensive, but believe me,this fundraiser is worth every single penny (and it goes to a good cause - the I&M Canal Corridor Association).

I take it you have gone before?  My friend and I were considering the trip.