Beaumaris specimens

Connah

Hello all, picked up a few bits from Beaumaris the other day & was looking for ID's 

Firstly this bone fragment. 110mm/85mm I'm thinking land mammal as the inner structure doesn't really match that of the local cetacean finds but I'm happy to be put right. The outer surface which is very worn but where you can still see the preserved outer layer, has an unusual texture which I'm not familiar with.

As this is my first post & undoubtedly I've stuffed something up along the way, I'll post the other finds as I go. Thanks for the time & any thoughts are most welcome.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

fullsizeoutput_4790.jpg

fullsizeoutput_4791.jpg

This second piece has me guessing avian. The colouration is unusual for this area & the pitted surface has me wondering could this be the elusive Pelagornis...  55mm/20mm

fullsizeoutput_478c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_478d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_478e.jpeg

These are very fragmentary, but can probably be narrowed down to either mammal or avian. 

I think the first specimen is consistent with a large marine mammal. Probably cetacean. The internal structure and shape could be consistent with a vertebra.

I haven't seen any Pelagornis material first hand (the image you provided) but I would think this would be too thick for a Pelagornis humerus and I'm not sure that the texture is right for penguin. Penguin bones are denser and with thicker walls than their flying cousins as .... well they need to sink.

The texture also looks consistent with marine mammal bone to me.

@Boesse would able to provide a bit more insight.

• I found this Informative 1

A fellow Beaumaris collector!

I agree with the others, both are indeterminate fragments and in all probability are bits of the usual marine mammals. 

Did you get any shark teeth? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hey Paleoworld, no teeth. I went over both sides of the Y club but only found on the NE side. Lots of weed covering the beach so hard going.

I did go a few weeks back & found a couple of nice cetacean frags... quite small but always a great to find something.

fullsizeoutput_479b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4792.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4793.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_479a.jpeg

My one & only sharks tooth from Beaumaris but collected further up towards the life saving club, a beautiful specimen, serrations & all Paleoworld.

IMG_9861.JPG

39 minutes ago, Connah said:

My one & only sharks tooth from Beaumaris but collected further up towards the life saving club, a beautiful specimen, serrations & all Paleoworld.

*pic*

Wow that's a great white tooth! They are very rare, well done!

I have some teeth from makos, extinct white sharks, port jackson sharks and a tiger shark but no great white teeth :(

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

4 hours ago, Connah said:

IMG_9861.JPG

:wub::envy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:02 AM, Connah said:

as a size indicator

Unknown.png

So I'm actually the artist who did the skeletal reconstruction of Pelagornis here - and it's based on a humerus I collected and published on. That person would only be about 4 feet tall, as the humerus would only be about 70-80 cm in length. The size of the bird is grossly exaggerated here.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

So I'm actually the artist who did the skeletal reconstruction of Pelagornis here - and it's based on a humerus I collected and published on. That person would only be about 4 feet tall, as the humerus would only be about 70-80 cm in length. The size of the bird is grossly exaggerated here.

Ha! @BoesseI should have taken that illustration with a pinch of salt right? :D