July 2017 - Finds of the Month

Fossildude19

As summer marches along, opportunities to find more fossils abound. 

Be it from a creek, quarry, river, beach, or cliff side, you are all bound to find something amazing. :) 

Please post your best Find of the Month - everyone who posts here has something to be proud of. ;) 

Remember...carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fossil!  If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until midnight on July 31st.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

In a few days, after the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for July - 2017 !  Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Probably gonna be late to the party, but Summerville's my trump card. ;)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Probably not a winner but this is a distinctive and very rare fish jaw.

The literature I've looked at (including this revision of the genus published this year) only references a handful of 19th century specimens - including the holotype - from this area. 

Saurorhynchus revision

Found 13th June, prepped 2nd July. (The shale is hard and the teeth very fragile so I'm leaving it like this for now.)

Rostropremaxilla of Saurorhynchus acutus (Agassiz, 1844). .

Lower Jurassic, Toarcian Stage, Mulgrave Shale Member, Falciferum Subzone. 

Found near Whitby, Yorkshire coast, England.

IMG_2510.thumb.jpg.d961747aef259a77bd654b7264788040.jpg

As found:

IMG_2499.thumb.jpg.185580ef53a3f7e82d99f089958c8ecc.jpg

Tarquin

2 hours ago, TqB said:

Found 13th June, prepped 2nd July. (The shale is hard and the teeth very fragile so I'm leaving it like this for now.)

Rostropremaxilla of Saurorhynchus acutus Agassiz, 1844. .

From all the people who entered till now, this one gets my vote:P

Plus, you only have 5 IPFOTM awards, and only 1 IPFOTY awards??? That's despicable, I expected more from you :angry::P 

Honest opinion: amazing find, congrats!!!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Don't pick too early! Others are sure to come ;)

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

From all the people who entered till now, this one gets my vote:P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Don't pick too early! Others are sure to come ;)

I meant it as a joke, as it's the only entry right now ;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

2 hours ago, TqB said:

Rostropremaxilla of Saurorhynchus acutus Agassiz, 1844. .

This is stunning Tarquin! Great prep.

@TqB It won't be upstaged that easily, this is still an very good (and rare!) find!

Max Derème

• Kane locked and unlocked this topic
On 7/6/2017 at 10:59 PM, ynot said:

It is off to a roaring start this month!!

Hooray- hoorah!!:yay-smiley-1:

Looking to contribute a meg from Summerville later on. Always wanted one :wub:

I found this Apoderoceras in January and did pretty much all the prep (30 hours out of the 35 it took) during July (finished on the 4th of July) 

I think it may possibly be a contender for this month. 

Found on Stonebarrow, Charmouth, Dorset, UK 

Jurassic, Lower Pliensbachian 190 mil years old. 

It measures 15", the centre is there but it is light calcite, all spines present are real and those that are not were either not fossilised or were broken during weathering on the beach. Second to last photo shows piece when I found it. The last shows the 5 hours prep undertaken in March before I realised that prepping it outside was a big mistake and I decided to put it off until I got my workshop.

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

15942344_10153929302521377_425206303_n.jpg

17902123_10154151552361377_729922689_o.jpg

4 hours ago, lizx said:

Ho trovato questo Apoderoceras a gennaio e ha fatto praticamente tutto il prep (30 ore su 35 ci sono voluti) nel mese di luglio (terminato il 4 luglio) 

Penso che possa eventualmente essere un concorrente per questo mese. 

Trovato su Stonebarrow, Charmouth, Dorset, Regno Unito 

Giurassico, Bassa Pliensbachiano 190 anni mil vecchio. 

Misura 15" , il centro è lì, ma è la calcite luce, tutte le spine presenti sono reali e quelli che non sono erano o non fossilizzato o erano rotti durante agenti atmosferici sulla spiaggia. Penultimo foto mostra pezzo quando l'ho trovato. Il ultima mostra il 5 ore di preparazione svolta in marzo, prima mi sono reso conto che durante la preparazione al di fuori è stato un grosso errore e ho deciso di rimandare fino a quando ho ottenuto il mio laboratorio.

I am a passionate for ammonites.
Wonderful

Wowser ! Wowser !Wowser ! I know nothing about Apoderoceras.  How large do they get?  Love the spines :wub: Fantastic prep.  July will be a tough, tough month based on these initial entries.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Wowser ! Wowser !Wowser ! I know nothing about Apoderoceras.  How large do they get?  Love the spines :wub: Fantastic prep.  July will be a tough, tough month based on these initial entries.

I have seen partials on the beach which probably would get up to about 20" possibly even 30" if they were complete. Finding one above 7" is pretty rare as they get broken up before you can find them, the larger the more likely they are to get smashed up on the way down the cliff / while they are on the beach. I was pretty lucky to get this one! 

Thanks, they are my favourite ammonite to find and prep :)

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Yep. I'll see what I can do to make it impossible :P

21 hours ago, lizx said:

I have seen partials on the beach which probably would get up to about 20" possibly even 30" if they were complete. Finding one above 7" is pretty rare as they get broken up before you can find them, the larger the more likely they are to get smashed up on the way down the cliff / while they are on the beach. I was pretty lucky to get this one! 

Thanks, they are my favourite ammonite to find and prep :)

Beautiful ammonite. One of the best I've ever seen of that size.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Beautiful ammonite. One of the best I've ever seen of that size.

Thanks! 

My submission for IPFOTM:

20170507_163005_HDR-1_resized.jpg.71b11748dcf48c7394b2f285babaeddf.jpg20170712_123214_resized.thumb.jpg.ac94a857d1a9960454e77165abdeacd9.jpg20170712_123334_resized.thumb.jpg.a6ea8e5d742215e6ebd6d3d1db9fedd1.jpg

Ceraurus mifflinensis (Demott1987)

Mifflin member- Platteville Formation

Middle Ordovician

Grant County, Wisconsin

Found May 07, 2017

Prepped July 01, 2017 by David Comfort

...I'm back.

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

My submission for IPFOTM:

Gabriceraurus mifflinensis

Mifflin member- Platteville Formation

Middle Ordovician

Grant County, Wisconsin

Found May 07, 2017

Prepped July 01, 2017 by David Comfort

Oh man, that's gonna be tough to beat! Absolute killer, @Raggedy Man :dinothumb:

1 minute ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Oh man, that's gonna be tough to beat! Absolute killer, @Raggedy Man :dinothumb:

I dunno..that ammo up there is throwing some nasty looks at Gabi...lol

...I'm back.

56 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I dunno..that ammo up there is throwing some nasty looks at Gabi...lol

(Euphoric sigh) Oh the fun of voting in an impossible month :P

OMG!!!  Its obvious to me now that these people are stealing their fossils from museums!!!   How does one compete?  :faint:

RB

48 minutes ago, RJB said:

OMG!!!  Its obvious to me now that these people are stealing their fossils from museums!!!   How does one compete?  :faint:

RB

By entering one of those gorgeous fox hills ammonites or a spectacular crab. (Multi blocks help too.):D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived