Fossils found at woodland near my house

Guy Macdonald

Hi guys, second post about fossils found in the same woodlands near my house as the last, will post the geology of the area and some more photos and views, first looks like some sort of clam/scallop and the second a mixture of bones? Thanks guys

wood_fossil_4.png

wood fossil 6.png

wood fossil 3.png

North cave geology.png

wood fossil 2.png

wood fossil 5.png

5 minutes ago, kolleamm said:

To me that looks like a mineral concentration not a fossil

Looks a bit too precise to me to not be a fossil, perhaps you could explain further, any info on the others.

Just now, Guy Macdonald said:

Looks a bit too precise to me to not be a fossil, perhaps you could explain further, any info on the others.

It's because I had the flash on, the little hairs standing up aren't shiny or glittery, they are stuck in place, any info appreciated though.

I'm sorry to say I don't see any fossils either, the first one looks like a sandstone or quartzite that's worn so that you can see the grains. I'd look for a place with bedrock, might be better then the glacial till.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I see a layer of calcite (?) crystals that looks like it is on some "flowstone".

In the second picture it looks like some cross sections of shells (clam?).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Is the second specimen coated with a transparent protective material, because that could explain why the hair is accidentally there?

597b75b8bb687_woodfossil6.png.698a57b5d3a570f9cded14387962b3ca.png.649cf8965c03537f24c4173e41ea5348.png

The first picture reminds me of an echinoid interambulacral plate imprint ( mamelon/areole region) in a metamorphosed matrix.

link

wood_fossil_4.png.0d6a49784ece7c7e7317c657601ff66e.thumb.png.1f6e866692ba5567ec0bda55290b9393.pngTemnocidaris-at-Littlehampton.jpg.631d6cfe09843ccf57e92576c46adb49.jpg.537618fefd9ebec79eb68f23501a3851.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

My two cents. The item with the calcit crystalls might be a worn part of a nautilus(a few chambers) showing the sipho(roundish thing in the middle). The roundish mold on the top might be the impreeion of the inner winding.

Cenoceras sp. is common for Jurassic.

8 hours ago, abctriplets said:

What app is this??

Fossil explorer, it only works in the U.K. Though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived