Skull bone from Hell Creek

Bozark

Hell all,

This one's got me and my buddies stumped. We were thinking hadrosaur quadrate till we got it prepped out more, no we aren't so sure. Any ideas? Picked up from Hell Creek land in South Dakota.

IMG_20170722_134440846.jpg

IMG_20170722_162957300.jpg

IMG_20170722_163012163.jpg

IMG_20170722_163007074.jpg

@Troodon will probably be able to help. There's something oddly familiar about the shape, but I can't put my finger on it...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Looks more like the right side of a pelvic girdle.

I agree, tenontosaurus maybe? 

IMG_2370.PNG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's not Tenontosaurus if it's from Hell Creek formation. The only Hadrosauriod there is Edmontosaurus. And Tenontosaurus is Early Cretaceous. Hell Creek is late Maastrichtian.

There seems to be some symmetry. That would rule out a quadrate bone. Besides, it doesn't really seem to match the quadrate of Edmontosaurus. Depending on which parts are broken, it might fit with Edmontosaurus ischium.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It's certainly possible is a piece of a pelvic element. It was found in association with a few teeth and neck verts, but nothing like articulation.

6 hours ago, Bozark said:

It's certainly possible is a piece of a pelvic element. It was found in association with a few teeth and neck verts, but nothing like articulation.

The teeth and neck verts were hadrosaur, yes?

Can you post several more angles?

Not saying that it is, but it somewhat reminds me of a Tyrannosaurus mid-distal caudal chevron. Probably isn't, but the shape is reminiscent of one, but it is hard to tell what it could be from the pictures.

IMG_3570.PNG

• I found this Informative 1