Authenticity Determination of Canadian Ammolite Pendant

Gemstonefreak

Hello,

I recently purchased this Canadian ammolite pendant on eBay, and I'm questioning its authenticity? It looks dark at certain angles. It only looks resplendent when exposed to a significant amount of light.

thanks 

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

I agree, it's real.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm just worried about the lines. There isn't much of a gap between them where the pieces could have been glued together. Am I over analyzing it? Is this piece a highly one??

14 minutes ago, Gemstonefreak said:

I'm just worried about the lines. There isn't much of a gap between them where the pieces could have been glued together. Am I over analyzing it? Is this piece a highly one??

Even if it was glued, it wouldn't detract from the piece. The nacre is almost always fractured a little in jewelry pieces, if they weren't, then they would be for sale as ammonites! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

There should be distinct difference in color at the seams if it were assembled from multiple pieces. I do not see that in Your piece.

Not sure what You meen by "lines" in Your query.  The pictures are somewhat out of focus when enlarged so can not see fine details like crazing in the shell, which is a trait of ammolite.

It is a good one if You like it.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Sorry for not expressing myself clearly. What I found strange about it is that it doesn't have cracks like the photo I've attached below. I just want to make certain that the pendant isn't just a rock with a piece of foil beneath resin or something of the sort, with a few lines made/added to make it seem authentic. Thank you for all the responses, btw. They have been helpful!

IMG_2110.JPG

It is hard to tell from such a small picture. It could be an assembled piece where a bunch of pieces have been set in an epoxy to make a single stone. Or it could be that it is from a different species of ammonite and has a different pattern to the shell.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The document was great! Thanks for the feedback. I uploaded two more photos hopefully the resolution is greater. One more question and I promise I'll stop! Does the other piece look authentic? I can help but ask because I fell in love with ammolite/ammonite when I visited BC. I wasn't able to buy a piece over there, so I don't really have anything to compare the ones I purchased online to. 

IMG_2121.JPG

9 hours ago, Gemstonefreak said:

Sorry for not expressing myself clearly. What I found strange about it is that it doesn't have cracks like the photo I've attached below. I just want to make certain that the pendant isn't just a rock with a piece of foil beneath resin or something of the sort, with a few lines made/added to make it seem authentic. Thank you for all the responses, btw. They have been helpful!

IMG_2110.JPG

Actually ammolite pieces without the "cracks" command higher prices for jewelry application. Your piece (from the photo and description) lacks the consistently fiery presentation that would make it an AA stone. However, it is, I believe ,"real" without artifice. The visible "backing" appears as is commonly seen. Enjoy your pendant. It is lovely. The only perhaps negative would be, if you payed too much. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Here is a link to a site that I recently posted during my auction to support the Forum. You will find the various ammolite patterns discussed in detail.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/ammolite-jewelry-gem-information

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Archived