Rocky Stoner

Hi folks, I posted this calyx for ID some time ago: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/75522-not-a-clue-here-please-take-a-look/&page=2

Since then, I decided to do a little prep on it to maybe expose more of it. Sadly, I did not get very far before it "grew" into the matrix ..... dang it !

But it does look a bit better, amazing to me.

Thanks again to all.

IMG_9936.JPG

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_9939.JPG

IMG_9940.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

It's small, but pretty, you got the "nipple" (bottom where it connects to the stem) too! Nice find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It looks like you can still prep some matrix off on the side away from the stem attachment site. Is this the case or is that just a trick of the camera?

Very cool either way.

23 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It looks like you can still prep some matrix off on the side away from the stem attachment site. Is this the case or is that just a trick of the camera?

Very cool either way.

Yup, camera trick. Its sort of like a coffee cup and terminates at that sharp edge. I started to prep that off but left it as it would have made the feature a bit smaller. Its a bit different (nicer) when you look at it "in hand".

Thanks.

it must be the picture.  Im with Ptychodus, it really does look like it can be prepped out a bit further?

RB