Mschaecer81

Milwaukee

Mschaecer81

What spots in Milwaukee would be good for hunting fossils?  I'm taking 2 older boys with me as my lil son and wife will have to stay at hospital overnight.... any spots?  My oldest son is interested in try to find trilobites.... thank you.

WhodamanHD

Along the lake there should be some sites, any don't know any specifics, but using this map and google earth, you should be able to find some nice rock faces.

IMG_2371.JPG

Raggedy Man

That map is useless when concerning milwaukee. All the exposed bedrock has long been since mined out or build on top of. You can go to the beaches and pick up some small hash plates with crinoid segments, but other than that the only spots with bedrock exposed are part of Schoonmaker reef and are highly protected. There is Estabrook park, but trilobites are very far and in between. Milwaukee is not a conducive place for fossil hunting.

Raggedy Man

If you do a forum search for Estabrook park youll find a map for the collecting area. Do not use rock hammers or tools on the devonian reef exposed. You will be heavily fined.

Mschaecer81

What about outside of Milwaukee?

Raggedy Man
1 hour ago, Mschaecer81 said:

What about outside of Milwaukee?

Its all glacial deposition. Im 45 min northwest of Milwaukee and I drive close to 2 hours to hunt. 

smt126
On 7/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, Raggedy Man said:

If you do a forum search for Estabrook park youll find a map for the collecting area. Do not use rock hammers or tools on the devonian reef exposed. You will be heavily fined.

I didn't know about the fines. You find that out first hand?

caldigger
7 hours ago, smt126 said:

That's the worst way to find out!  "Ah no sir, I wasn't looking for fossils...I lost my contact lens and thought this rock hammer could help me find it".

Raggedy Man
13 hours ago, smt126 said:

I was there with a hammer and a police officer approached me and explained the conditions for fossil collection. She was nice and could of waited for me to break the law, but she figured I was unaware of the rules and informed me. We talked for 20 min or so and then she showed me a few of her finds. Lol

smt126

That was pretty nice that she let you know. I'm guessing that applies to the beaches too then.

Raggedy Man
On 8/7/2017 at 3:18 AM, smt126 said:

That was pretty nice that she let you know. I'm guessing that applies to the beaches too then.

Ive not had any issues breaking beach rock as long as its not meant to stop erosion...

Newski

I've hung out at Estrabrook part many times, never even realized what could be found there. Thinking about talking a trip out there on Friday. Any tips for spotting? I haven't done any fossil hunting in like 20 years, and that was just picking out odd shaped rocks on the railroad tracks.

smt126
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 12:02 PM, Newski said:

I've hung out at Estrabrook part many times, never even realized what could be found there. Thinking about talking a trip out there on Friday. Any tips for spotting? I haven't done any fossil hunting in like 20 years, and that was just picking out odd shaped rocks on the railroad tracks.

@NewskiJust head under the bridge, look around on the ground and through the rubble and you should find a good number of brachiopods, crinoid bits, and bryzoan. If you're lucky you might find something else. It might help to look at some pictures of common fossils that you'd find such as brachiopods, crinoids, and bryzoans so you know what you're looking for.