Bay View coral bed oddity

DevonianDigger

Looks wormy to me, but serpulids had yet to evolve.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

DD, I see you have uncovered the tapered end since yesterday. It seems in keeping with the rest of the specimen.

As I said yesterday I have a 16 inch TS800 ready for extractions.

IMG_2342.JPG

The texture looks consistent with the corals found there, and perhaps the odd shape or folding is possibly an obstruction in the growth pattern. I've seen them branch and twist in some strange ways!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

58 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Not seeing anything that screams conularid, at least nothing that matches the ones known from the site. Here's a closer shot.

Hey Jay, ... I think this may be a Paleozygopleura  "squish-out ".  (This happens a lot at the DSR site.)

The shells fill with mud, are crushed, and then, the mud squishes out, making a strange looking layer around the shell.

It looks like the outermost layer has chipped off, leaving a rougher surface than that usually found in these squish-outs.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That saw looks much too clean........ FYI I am planning on going to Ridgemount Friday August 4

Hard to tell from the photos if it is a body fossil or a trace fossil. If a trace it looks like rusophycus.

@Fossildude19, thanks Tim! We've found a few more of them intermingled with similarly sized cephalopods. At this point we're treating them as cephalopod squish-outs. I can take some pictures that show what appear to be shell fragments in the 'squish zone'.

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

I think this may be trilo realated. There was a thread a while back that covered this very thing. I believe it was started by @Monica. Seems to me it was decided to be trilobite furrows or feeding traces.  I have one as well, let me get a picture of it tonight and I will post.

caldigger

edit...my photo is in the post Monica just presented.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

I think this may be trilo realated. There was a thread a while back that covered this very thing. I believe it was started by @Monica. Seems to me it was decided to be trilobite furrows or feeding traces.  I have one as well, let me get a picture of it tonight and I will post.

caldigger

Hi Doren et al.!

It does look like the rusophycus I found by Etobicoke Creek, although this one is a little longer than mine.  The thread that you were looking for is here:

Monica

That would be a tiny rusophycus, but entirely in line with the smaller sizes at PD. I think we need to narrow this down: is it a trilo burrow or a squish-out? My untrained eye would have just tossed it aside as just another distorted horn coral! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It looks like Rusophycus rather than Rhizocorallium, because there's no spreite visible, but the longitudinal break/fissure makes me think that is a crushed specimen of something, so I'll go with Tim on this one.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library