Large Spinosaur tooth

Vertebrate

Hi everybody,

I'm a fossil freak from Germany and while all kind of fossils are fascinating to me, my main focus is on vertebrates. Since a while I'm looking for a nice, large Spinosaur tooth and just found an attractive looking one on an auction site. The seller mentions a repair near the tip. I guess it's the reddish, smooth part which is visible on the first photo. I could just deal with that if the rest of the tooth would be fine. Are there any other repairs or restorations, what do you guy think? Thanks for your opinion!

Spino4.thumb.jpg.a8fd40197b8da19e2c090214489a7ee4.jpg 

Spino1.jpg

Spino2.jpg

Spino3.jpg

Edited by Vertebrate

Welcome to the forum from Maryland, USA! It looks like the large crack in the first photo may have been repaired with glue mixed with sand, although this doesn't necessarily change the value. Others with more experience than myself should be able to give a more definitive answer and I'm sure they will be here soon. Good Luck!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Aside from the possible repair WhodamanHd mentioned and the partial missing enamel towards the tip, this looks like a really nice tooth.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree with the others. Nice tooth. I'd buy it if the price was right. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It's a nice tooth, especially with the root. There don't seem to be other repairs.

There are a lot of folks out there that make frankenteeth to reach larger sizes, but it is not the case of this tooth, and he no is composite of other teeth. I do not see it here significant colour (colour changes) or texture difference between different sections in this tooth. I also agree with the WhodamanHD. As I could see in this photo, that this tooth has only been restored with the method of glue and sand, and this type of repair is super common in Kem Kem in Morocco, but it does add stability. Congratulations! It's real!

The most interesting thing is that they usually make the restoration using glue and sand from the very rock that formed the fossil, that is, from the excavation field itself;

13.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

5 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

There are a lot of folks out there that make frankenteeth to reach larger sizes, but it is not the case of this tooth, and he no is composite of other teeth. I do not see it here significant colour (colour changes) or texture difference between different sections in this tooth. I also agree with the WhodamanHD. As I could see in this photo, that this tooth has only been restored with the method of glue and sand, and this type of repair is super common in Kem Kem in Morocco, but it does add stability. Congratulations! It's real!

The most interesting thing is that they usually make the restoration using glue and sand from the very rock that formed the fossil, that is, from the excavation field itself;

13.PNG

I like that term " frankentooth"

:P

The tip appears to be restored maybe with a putty or clay (or crushed up sediment and glue?) It could be that enamel has worn off but the brick red area is raised above the enamel on the other side.

Thanks everyone! I purchased the tooth and now I'm looking forward to see it in real. :ighappy: