Is it possible to ID this cephalopod?

Miocene_Mason

I got this a few years back in Canaan valley (if memory serves) West Virginia before With a bunch of other fossils. I bought it, as this was before I had learned that you could actually legally hunt fossils yourself (if I had known, that valley would have been scoured for fossils, as its geology is apparently amazing). I assume this was from the area, although this could be incorrect. This one caught my eye because of its curvature, is this the way it was when it was alive or is it just disarticulated septa? Is it possible to get a close ID on this orthocerid?

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like a horn coral to me. 

See if you can get a better shot of the 'bottom' round part. 

Edit: I'm wrong

8 minutes ago, Limestone said:

Looks like a horn coral to me. 

See if you can get a better shot of the 'bottom' round part. 

Unfortunately, my iPad does not allow any better pictures. there are no corallites on this specimen, so I do not think it's a rugose coral. I would love to be proven wrong though, it's the best way to learn!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like a cephalopod to me, with a chamber wall in the end view. The iPad has focussed on a finger in that shot - maybe try sticking the specimen in a bit of blutac.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin