My Very First Display Case

RJB

Way back when my 3 sons were just little tykes and I had no moneys, I decided to build my own display case.  This was about 24 years ago and I was just beginning to find fossils but had no where to put them.  I figured this would be able to handle everything I could possible find?  Ha!  Boy was I naive. Anyways, having no moneys I used 2x4's and cut them to size, found a piece of nice ply for the backing, I had to buy the brackets and track though, and while I was doing a paint job on a house, the guy who changed out all the windows came by to pick up the old 1/4 inch plate glass ones to throw them away.   Well, a 12 pack later that evening he brought them over to me house.  I cut the glass to size and I then a bit of paint and WaaaaLaaaaa!!  I had a display case for about $20.    As you can see there is alot of room left to fill, but once i go through the right box/s it will be full and I will have to find more room somehow to display even more stuff!!!   I just brought this display case home from my other property about 3 weeks ago from one of my storage sheds.  Always something to do.

RB  

DSCN1173.JPG

That must have been a heavy duty house having 1/4" glass windows!  Looks like you did a great job in the build.

Unfortunately for me, my display cases were built for store sales and therefore open from the back which makes getting into them rather painstaking as they are situated against walls. I wish I had front opening units.

Knowing the amount of items you have been showing us from your "cornucopia" storage units, I would say you'll have that baby filled in no time at all.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hey @caldigger,  it would be a job, but you would always sell those that you have and start getting some 'open from the front' display cases?  Just a thought.   and yeah, it wont take much to fill this case, but I have to run into the right boxes.  Not sure when i will actually do that?

RB

RB, Looks good. I'm envious...stay focused with filling it. My dang case which was supposed to be full of fossils now has model planes and star trek/star wars stuff in it! Its a real hybrid too as the base I originally built as a 55 gal aquarium stand and has been repurposed. Its a mess and needs some finish work! LOL

Be careful of that glass too. I've seen examples of shatters/load failure.  Keep prepping/filling and show us your display as it progresses. 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks guys.  Just got to bring home another box or two from the fossil shed.

RB