Mystery fossil

Mschaecer81

Found near Green Bay, WI.  The Maquoketa Formation. Interesting fossil not sure what is it as its lil unusual

IMG_0670.JPG

Maybe it's a crinoid columnal fragment.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I would say it could stand a bit more prep work. Are those turritella snails I see around it?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Forget to put scale in the pic but fossil is just under one inch so I doubt it's crinoid stem.  Horn coral?  Trilobite fragment?

I think coral might be a good guess. Don't think it is a trilobite fragment, though.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There are crinoid columnals (forming crinoid stems) with that dimension, so it could be very well one of them. Turritella exist from the Cretaceous, it is too young for the Ordovician.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What's the size? My first thought was ammonite, but if it's small I'd say crinoid segment as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Mr. Dente. I agree. 

As in figure E.

Strophomena.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

You beat me to the answer. I could not rapidly find a good pic.

What I like about this brachiopod is that the convex side of the shell is actually the inner aspect as is obvious by the LARGE muscular attachment site. Until I understood it's anatomy, the muscular scar always confused me. So your example is the inside surface of this brachiopod. Nice example!!!!

12 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Mr. Dente. I agree. 

As in figure E.

Strophomena.jpg

+1 for interior valve of Strophomenid

Yup, Al Dente is right! ;)

Thomas Mann

My Library

@Mschaecer81 The info image is from 

http://slideplayer.com/slide/7479312/24/images/33/Back+to+Strophomena+page.jpg

I happened across another great image that matches yours a bit better (found on pinterest so don't know where from).

I think you'll see the similarity.

a64d7cffc4c01d0c0034f101753a1ef7.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Was in Milwaukee for last few days. My son found this by the river. It was golf ball sized

IMG_0672.JPG

6 minutes ago, Mschaecer81 said:

Was in Milwaukee for last few days. My son found this by the river. It was golf ball sized

IMG_0672.JPG

Can we have a picture of the part it's resting on, I'm suspecting horn coral but could be a bivalve or brachiopod.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

image.jpg