0lderthandirt

Hello,

Let me start by apologizing for not reading the FAQ. I wanted to but I couldn't find it. I even searched in forums. I pulled down the menu on the right upper corner several times.

I live in northwest Arizona,  about 25 miles south of the grand canyon.  I recently acquired the neighboring 40 acres to me. Tons of fossils. But he left me these large green rocks and that's what this posting is about. I took this picture today, cloudy and just to send to my brother but then I remembered this site, so here I am. Any ideas on what these 3 green rocks are? 

20170729_090318.jpg

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

Looks like slate to me. Can we have a picture of the ends?

And you're lucky to have heaps of fossils on your property! :envy:

Thanks for such a fast reply!  Amazingly I just saw the FAQ, i guess i hadn't actually been to the home page here.

This was the only other picture I took today,  I can take more tomorrow though. For some reason the pictures don't show how green they actually are. 

20170729_113542.jpg

Interesting. Yep the lighting can change the colors in photos a great deal. Those samples do look a little shaley...what does the cross section look like? If I can find them I've got a few very small pieces of chromium wood somewhere. I'll post if I can snag them--I dont recall if there is any grain structure left thats visible. 

Hoping to see more of the other fossil material you have. 

Regards, Chris 

I brought in the smaller piece and took a picture from each end. It is more green than my phone camera shows. I can probably do some magnification also. Thanks for taking such an interest ,can't wait to post actual fossil pics. 

20170729_214711.jpg

20170729_214809.jpg

20170729_214936.jpg

@ynot is on the money.

This is a metamorphic rock and a metamorphic texture - foliation can superficially resemble wood grain.

The green could be chlorite which forms by alteration of clay minerals with heat and pressure.

• I found this Informative 3

11 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

I'd trust someone named dr Mud on metapelitic lithologiesB)

:rofl:

Usually the the mud I look at is a bit younger and softer - Holocene.

And will get heated to 80 degrees maybe if I need to process it for fossils. There used to be a joke in the geology dept. you were a hard rock or soft rock geologist with all the associated innuendo that went with those words......

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for all the input. I just watched a coupe YouTube videos on slate and shale. This is far too hard to be shale but it sure could be slate. Funny because it does look almost identical to what I see people selling as the green petrified wood from that one old tree in Arizona. I've never played with slate, but after watching the videos I can say that this stuff would take a good hit to make it split because I've dropped it and tossed it around and not even a tiny sliver has ever broke off. I'll post pics of the others with the white rock on the end that looks like it was mortared, I always thought that was like mud it was sitting in as it petrified but maybe slate does that too. This is all very interesting, I'm glad I joined :)

5 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

Thanks for all the input. I just watched a coupe YouTube videos on slate and shale. This is far too hard to be shale but it sure could be slate. Funny because it does look almost identical to what I see people selling as the green petrified wood from that one old tree in Arizona. I've never played with slate, but after watching the videos I can say that this stuff would take a good hit to make it split because I've dropped it and tossed it around and not even a tiny sliver has ever broke off. I'll post pics of the others with the white rock on the end that looks like it was mortared, I always thought that was like mud it was sitting in as it petrified but maybe slate does that too. This is all very interesting, I'm glad I joined :)

No problem!

Looking forward to your next images.

The "mortar" could be Quartz veins which can also be common in metamorphic rock, but I'll wait to see your pics.

I just looked up Chlorite Schist and I think you're right. So I've got a crock of schist... figures 

20170730_075308.jpg

1 hour ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I just looked up Chlorite Schist and I think you're right. So I've got a crock of schist... figures 

20170730_075308.jpg

:hearty-laugh:well done:hearty-laugh:

Yup agree with the others on the metamorphic rock/chlorite schist. good call. Cool.. I'd still keep a sample. Well my memory continues to fade unfortunately. My recollection of what the heck I had with respect to the wood sample was wrong...No chlorite wood example, but a malachite (Cu) sample from New Mexico...Uggh...Not even sort of close!! Oh well, you can still see a wood texture that is a bit different than your schist. 

5983ca002de37_MalachitewoodNewMexico.thumb.jpg.052d00fec28a0a6921d18d8a19cabb6e.jpg

Regards, Chris