Mschaecer81

Fossil book

Mschaecer81

What is best book for fossils? What you have at home that you use to check what species?  I'm more interested in book that list all species if possible.... some books don't.

fossilized6s

This would all depend on what period you're hunting. 

Doctor Mud

Are you looking for something for your area?

perhaps you could clarify so members don't need to check your profile and assume.

There are many sources of literature on fossils. There may be general guides in geology and fossils which tend to have less complete lists. Also go to your local museum or geology department. Join a club if you can.

There are also posts on fossil sites here on the forum.

One of the best ways is to get to know the geology and literature on the geology of the area you want to hunt. Collect a library of papers on the fauna for your area of interest.

And make use of the fine folks on here and their knowledge.

Good luck! :fistbump:

doushantuo

sepkoski

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/40634#page/7/mode/1up

still very much in use

Of course i realize this is not what you're looking for,but boy,is it all-encompassing or what ?

I never did that,but it's a useful starting point for googling taxa,following Tim's directions.

Given that I think Google's using some decision-tree algorithms,it can sometime be useful to google and throw in an expert's name

rhieqps.jpg

Arizona Chris

>>What you have at home that you use to check what species? 

-  USGS bulletins

- Index Fossil of North America (inverts only)

Mschaecer81

For trilobite, corals, crinoids, brachiopod, etc.   ordicivian, Silurian, Devonian... pretty much all Cambrian era.  I mean what books you have at home?  I love to read books and use books to identity any species I have no idea what.

Mschaecer81

Is there specific trilobite book? Brachiopod book? Corals book? Etc etc.  I know not all books have ALL species that can be found in Wisconsin or North America 

doushantuo

i say:the LEAST you can do is take a peek at Fruitbat's Library,which is a thorough cross-section of what can be gotten freely online in the English language.

Do NOT go to sites offering "free PDF's,"free downloads","free books",etc..

There's plenty out there that is absolutely free,and do not fiddle with your browser settings to get at something

how about?

muscatindescytatweeges.jpg

Reumer(see below) is my favourite lypotyphlan /micromammal guy,and a gifted pedagogue himself.

Below,an impartial but laudatory review of this book.Read the review,by all means 

reumer_jwf_2006_review_of_cowen_r_2005_history_of_life_4th_edition_blackwell_publishing.pdf

doushantuo

OR

both dyed-in-the wool-paleontologists

bryozs.jpg

doushantuo

Micro,macro-fossils?

It's like Tim said.

Personally speaking,I am not ENTIRELY sure what you're after

A determination guide?

So,a "Permian brachiopods of Texas" kinda thingy(1100+ pages of taxonomy of Permian brachs from that state alone)

i posted 3 reasonable,complete paleontology books that would suit anyone setting out on the path to greater knowledge

"Onwards,grasshopper":D

Kane
1 hour ago, Mschaecer81 said:

Is there specific trilobite book? Brachiopod book? Corals book? Etc etc.  I know not all books have ALL species that can be found in Wisconsin or North America 

There definitely are several books on just trilobites alone. Authors such as Richard Fortey, H.B. Whittington, and Riccardo Levi-Setti are easily found via Amazon or possibly your local library. None of them will list every single species (too many!), but provide a more generalist survey of trilobites with helpful photos.

doushantuo

not for me.

B***d* amateur fortey,what does he know?B)

There's even some Rasetti online:D:ninja:

rcjjomages.jpg

Raggedy Man

I am not aware of a go to book for Wisconsin trilobites or brachiopods. I use several research papers and common geological reports.

Plax

MacFall's Fossils for Amateurs if it is still in print or you can get a used one. Gerard Case's book, A Pictorial Guide to Fossils is also very useful.

Already looked at the pubs available from your State Geological Survey?

https://wgnhs.uwex.edu/publications-home/

Raggedy Man

Dont really use fossil collecting books as the information contained within isn't what Im really looking for. I typically stick to journals and scholarly articles.

jpc

How I wish there were a "Field Guide to Eocene Mammal Teeth of Wyoming".