Gastropod from the Zandmotor

Max-fossils

Hi all,

I'm having trouble putting a species on this tiny critter.

Anyone know what it could be? 

I found it on the Zandmotor (NL), and it's from the middle Pleistocene (about 120'000 years old).

I can get close-ups of the sculpture if needed.

Thanks!

Max

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I think it's a nassariid gastropod aka "dog whelk", like Nassarius, Tritia or similar.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I think it's a nassariid gastropod aka "dog whelk", like Nassarius, Tritia or similar.

I'm pretty sure it is one too, plus they're kinda common here. But this one looks a bit different than the other Nassarius I find, as in the operculum is (proportionally) more like a circle, and smaller.

Btw, I just realized that Nassarius reticulatus is now Tritia reticulata. I prefered Nassarius, sounds better... :(

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Max, I think you might be adding too many zeros on your aging of the two shells. Should be reading 12,000 years not 120,000.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

Max, I think you might be adding too many zeros on your aging of the two shells. Should be reading 12,000 years not 120,000.

Nope, the seashells from the Zandmotor (well most of them) are 120'000 years old. They're from the Eemian stage, which lasted from 130'000 years ago to 115'000. So I round it to 120'000. 

There are fossils on the Zandmotor that are about 10'000 years old, mostly dog, fox and cat bones. But most bone fossils are 40'000 years old. 

Maybe you're confusing the Zandmotor with another location?

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Oh, my bad. I read Pleistocene, but was thinking something entirely different. Carry on!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

Oh, my bad. I read Pleistocene, but was thinking something entirely different. Carry on!

Haha, no problem :)

Max Derème