Sternberg Museum Hays City Kansas

Ramo

I've been pretty busy with work, so I've been absent from here for a while.  I did stop by the Sternberg Museum and took a few photos the other day.  Thought I'd share on here.  As a side note, if you have local sciency museums in your are you might want to check into becoming a "member".  I have a family membership, that allows my family and I to get in free anytime they are open.  This membership also allows us into many other museums across the country.  If you like museums like we do it is a great deal.

Enough of a rambling here are a few pictures:

First is the front of the museum.  As you can see the back half is a dome.  I think it used to be a skating rink years ago.  The museum was recently moved to this location from Fort Hays University.  (by recent I mean about 20 years ago when I was in school there.  Dang I'm old)

When you walk in you are greeted by this large plesiosaur.

Probably one of the most famous fossils in the world.  The "Fish with in a fish"

Large Tylosaur mosasaur wall mount.

The next two are probably my favorite display.  It's a table with a complete Shark.  Look at that wad of teeth!!

Next are some Cretaceous displays. 

A few ice-age displays.

They also have some living animals.  There is a display area with every species of rattlesnake.

They also have a "discovery room", and traveling displays.  Right now it's a Permian display.

Under the dome is a walk through diorama with dinosaurs, and Cretaceous reptiles.

002.JPG

031.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

014.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

021.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the field trip Ramo! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great report. Thanks for the idea, Ramo!

I think I'll take the granddaughters on a road trip.

Steve

Thanks Ramo for the tour. I visited the old museum almost forty years ago when it was in a tiny building on campus. I was the only one there. The fossil collection was crowded in one small room, but oh man, what a room- the fish within a fish, the complete mosasaur, the pteredon, birds with teeth, a sea turtle, and those fearsome sharks, etc., etc..  I'm glad to see the new building/exhibits do justice to a really spectacular collection, but I miss the intimacy of the old exhibit hall.  

I know what you mean about the old location.  It was there when I started at Fort Hays, and moved the year I graduated.  It gave the feeling of Nicolas Cage discovering things in an old library or something like that!!

Bullsnake,  If you get back out this way, let me know man!!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold