quatsea1

Ok experts.... Severely eroded (dolphin?) inner ear or funky looking stone/pebble from Calvert Cliffs, MD? I have a lot to learn... Thanks!

20170730_182242.jpg

I agree it is not an inner ear bone, but I can see how the shape sort of looks similar.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I don't know much but I do know its not iron. The crappy quality of my picture probably isn't helping. I know, I have a lot to learn! The one on the right was identified as such. The one on the left is the one in question Thank you!

20170730_185046.jpg

A suggestively shaped rock mimic. ;) 

Happens all the time, in fossil hunting. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Better to have picked up a rock, than missed a fossil!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, quatsea1 said:

I don't know much but I do know its not iron.

An iron concretion is a type of rock that is rich in ozidized iron, it is not iron. They are not magnetic and they have variable amounts of oxidized iron in them.

The rust yellow staining in the first picture is a typical color of iron concretions.

The second picture makes it look more like a sandstone that has some iron staining.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the details! There are def tons and tons of those iron concretions on the beaches around the cliffs. This one is different..perhaps the sandstone you mentioned. The "iron staining " is simply a product of poor photo/image quality.  It is a very bland, consistent tan-brown color in person. 

13 minutes ago, quatsea1 said:

Thanks for the details! There are def tons and tons of those iron concretions on the beaches around the cliffs. This one is different..perhaps the sandstone you mentioned. The "iron staining " is simply a product of poor photo/image quality.  It is a very bland, consistent tan-brown color in person. 

Tan/brown is also an iron caused color sometimes, some bog iron sandstone I got in Anne Arundel county is a light brown sandstone. Could have sworn it was chert (because of the blandness) but I will give in to the consensus.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived