Are these circles and tubes fossils?

0lderthandirt

These are some of the very few rounded smooth rocks around here and they have these peculiar raised circle shapes. Also next to them, and actually everywhere around here,  are these tubes, usually 1.5 inches diameter and broken into pieces up to 6 inches long. The tubes look like they were broken off the bedrock. Any ideas what these two things are? 

20170730_171044.jpg

20170730_171219.jpg

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

The hollow rock in the bottom picture reminds me of a rhizolith. Can you give a location such as near a town, or a southwest (insert here) of a county. I think they are fossils but the location and maybe some closer pictures will help.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Top image looks like limestone weathering pattern.  Bottom is far more interesting, if that is a marine limestone then they might be chertized arthropod burrows.  What age?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Those are interesting weathering patterns.. I would have sworn there was fossil material in there but I'll defer to your expertise, AC.

This is another of the rounded rocks with the raised semi circles.

And another tubular one I have here in the house, looks like it branched (many of them look this way)

20170730_171121.jpg

20170730_171121.jpg

2 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

This is another of the rounded rocks with the raised semi circles.

And another tubular one I have here in the house, looks like it branched (many of them look this way)

20170730_171121.jpg

20170730_171121.jpg

Looks to me like to shell cross sections, but @Arizona Chris should know better than I.

Oops, Ynot beat me!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry about the double, it said upload failed.

Again, these are from my property near grand canyon caverns,  az

20170730_182715.jpg

20170730_182939.jpg

So is this limestone from the mississipian? 

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm gonna throw out a bunch of ideas, and whatever is impossible shall be discarded by the group (or just Chris) and whatever is left, no matter how improbable, may be the answer. Okay, kinda stole that one. Rugose corals I believe are common in this formation (escabrosa limestone?), maybe a weird hollow one? Some are colonial....

crinoid stem mold?

huge nautiloid (ding ding ding! Improbable-est!)

ichnofossil

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have to admire your confidence :)

I did run over and snapped a few more pictures, one showing from a distance a buried large piece with what appears to be many broken branches (or tubes) and then a closer pic of same thing

20170730_191434.jpg

20170730_191428.jpg

7 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I have to admire your confidence :)

I did run over and snapped a few more pictures, one showing from a distance a buried large piece with what appears to be many broken branches (or tubes) and then a closer pic of same thing

Always gotta keep that, at least makes me feel smarter! Plus the forum is fortunately full of good, kind people who are not rude when pointing out inaccuracies or stating their opinions, so I'm not scared to offer my own! A see a few fossils in that picture, not all on that big chunk. I'm gonna reserve my judgement until @Arizona Chris or another local gives theirs, as they know the paleofauna better than myself (and to be honest I'm kinda clueless with the Carboniferous, closest outcrop of that age is illegal to hunt in and an hour away, two hours is the closest legal one, and the only one I've hunted in was land deposits).

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

The tube looking things are most likely borow casts.

They do not have the traits of coral.

I assume the spelling is borough casts and I looked that up. I hadn't ever considered that, what I've got is considerably larger than what I just saw from Google and I agree that they don't seem to have traits of coral. Thank you

6 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I assume the spelling is borough casts and I looked that up. I hadn't ever considered that, what I've got is considerably larger than what I just saw from Google and I agree that they don't seem to have traits of coral. Thank you

Sorry, My dyslexia got Me again. It should be burrow cast, they are an ichno or trace fossil.

They can be of differing sizes dependent on the animal that made them.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Sorry, My dyslexia got Me again. It should be burrow cast, they are an ichno or trace fossil.

They can be of differing sizes dependent on the animal that made them.

Lol that certainly brings up more hits than the other two spellings! 

12 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

Lol that certainly brings up more hits than the other two spellings! 

It is amazing what happens when You have the correct spelling.:rofl:

First photo are cross sections of shells.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Agreed. First pic cross section through brachiopod  or bivalve shells

I would also go with rhizoliths as a good first guess for the second.

They are cross sections of shells!  If you zoom into the circle in the shadow below the coin you can actually see the ridge detail. You guys are amazing. I think @ynot called it first but I just couldn't see it. 

Just to clarify the situation....

The first picture in the original post is also showing shell cross sections.

I have found that it helps to tell which rocks may have concentrations of fossils if You can recognize the weathered  fossils on the surface.

14 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

The hollow rock in the bottom picture reminds me of a rhizolith. Can you give a location such as near a town, or a southwest (insert here) of a county. I think they are fossils but the location and maybe some closer pictures will help.

After seeing rhizolith mentioned several times I finally looked it up. http://scienceviews.com/photo/fossils/Rhizoliths1.html

These do look like what I've got. So far it seems every assumption I've made about my rocks/fossils has been wrong. I'm extremely happy knowing with more certainty what I've got. Thanks to everyone here. I'm really trying to control myself because there is so much I want to post pictures of and ask for opinions but I don't want to drive  everyone nuts! 

1 minute ago, 0lderthandirt said:

After seeing rhizolith mentioned several times I finally looked it up. http://scienceviews.com/photo/fossils/Rhizoliths1.html

These do look like what I've got. So far it seems every assumption I've made about my rocks/fossils has been wrong. I'm extremely happy knowing with more certainty what I've got. Thanks to everyone here. I'm really trying to control myself because there is so much I want to post pictures of and ask for opinions but I don't want to drive  everyone nuts! 

It hard to drive me nuts, I don't have a steering wheel:P

rhizolith would be weird for a marine enviroment, although I assume possible (just not with trees). others will now better than me

Happy hunting,

Mason

22 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

there is so much I want to post pictures of and ask for opinions but I don't want to drive  everyone nuts! 

Post all You want! Most of Us are already nuts so it won't make any difference at all.

Archived