shawna bell

I found these buried in a creek bed in south-east Kansas. I have been digging this spot for a few months and it is the first time in over 20 years of fossil hunting in this creek that I have ever come across these. I have no idea what they could be and have not had any luck trying to hunt down information on line. I hope someone here might be able to help me I.D. them. thank you all for having a look.

-Shawna bell 

DSC00064.JPG

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00065.JPG

The specimens are not in focus, could you try again? Also do you have any idea of the age of the sediments where they were found? My first impression is that they are not teeth...They look a bit like seed pods of some kind..

Hi,

I need some better pics, but I think they are parts of a Aristotle's lantern, the sea urchin mouth name :

33ll72x.jpg

http://www.snv.jussieu.fr/bmedia/aimar2/PAGES/140.htm

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I will try to take some better pics tomorrow. I'm very exited that I may find some answers here but I'm not very good at taking pictures. I found these along with a lot of crionoid pieces and different mullask shells. the rock is lime stone here and every thing I have found over the last 20 years have all been sea fossils. that's all I really know.

Dermal denticles or shark skin? Just a complete guess without know anything about the site

What do you even call shark skin? :P 

Coco is right, they are part of an urchin Aristotle's lantern. Here is a picture of some Paleozoic pyramids from a few types of urchins.

pyramid.JPG

Given the association with crinoids if i squint I can certainly agree with aristotles lantern parts. Good call @Coco

@AL DENTE, & @COCOA, & @DOUSHANTUO !!!

THANK YOU!!! the pic you posted are exactly like what I have! and I think it explains a few other pieces I have found in the same place as well!!

Archived