janvanwinckel

From top to bottom:

Shells (bivalve?)

shells

snails

stromatoporoid? Sponge?

horn corals?

snails

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Are you sure these are Jurassic?  The assemblage has a Cretaceous look to me.  In particular there are several specimens of rudists, and I am not aware of these occurring in the Jurassic.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Are you sure these are Jurassic?  The assemblage has a Cretaceous look to me.  In particular there are several specimens of rudists, and I am not aware of these occurring in the Jurassic.

Don

According to Wikipedia, they are present in the late Jurrasic. Wikipedia is sometimes inaccurate however...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think Wikipedia is getting better over time, as people with the knowledge to do so edit and improve entries, especially science-related entries.  The knee-jerk assumption that Wikipedia is useless, which one still hears, is (I think) entrenched in the early days of the project when most entries were brief "first takes". [I know you didn't mean to condemn all of Wikipedia, and it is true that one can occasionally find errors there].

Anyway if it came to a contest between my memory and Wikipedia, I'd suggest not betting on me.

I still think the assemblage looks more Cretaceous than Jurassic, though I admit I do not know anything about the geology "north of Riyadh" (what country or continent is that even in? Saudi Arabia?  Why are we left to make assumptions about this?).  Certainly it would not be out of place if it had come from the Texas Cretaceous.

Don

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think Wikipedia is getting better over time, as people with the knowledge to do so edit and improve entries, especially science-related entries.  The knee-jerk assumption that Wikipedia is useless, which one still hears, is (I think) entrenched in the early days of the project when most entries were brief "first takes". [I know you didn't mean to condemn all of Wikipedia, and it is true that one can occasionally find errors there].

Anyway if it came to a contest between my memory and Wikipedia, I'd suggest not betting on me.

I still think the assemblage looks more Cretaceous than Jurassic, though I admit I do not know anything about the geology "north of Riyadh" (what country or continent is that even in? Saudi Arabia?  Why are we left to make assumptions about this?).  Certainly it would not be out of place if it had come from the Texas Cretaceous.

Don

Wikipedia is largely accurate (in fact I did an argumentative essay in school for its use as a reliable source). Based on the geological map, it's on the border of Cretaceous and jurrasic, and I'm not sure of the maps accuracy (Maryland geo maps are often faulty) so it's your pick. It's also (if it's like previous posts by him) at the base of a mountain, which could have multiple stratigraphic layers.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Rudists appeared in the Late Jurassic and became extinct at the end of the Cretaceous.

As I suggested in your previous topic , the one from there, similar to those from the first picture of this topic, could be Actinostreon (as Roger see it as well). In the second picture are also oysters. The third picture contains gastropod internal molds except the upper one and the right-side one which could be radiolitid (rudist) valve internal molds.
In picture five, I can see radiolitid rudist valves (the left one complete, the other ones fragmented and/or internal molds of rudist lower valves). The last picture is the most interesting to me, and I think they are rudists (not convinced if all of them), most likely requieniids, like Toucasia. Similar ones from the Tethyan realm here .

IMG_8387.JPG.0bfbc1c4da59b263e2d722880cde5d86.thumb.JPG.a74be5ca2f35e0494765091499f3261f.JPGNPL_39335__-Toucasia-hancockensis.gif.8cba979a6d1ebf97b576c5c2a85fe8e7.gif.d70a6b3998481021b5c8ba3679ee45df.gif

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think Wikipedia is getting better over time

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Wikipedia is largely accurate

Good to hear this vote of confidence. As a neophyte, I often turn to Wikipedia for fossil related information.

Russ

43 minutes ago, KCMOfossil said:

Good to hear this vote of confidence. As a neophyte, I often turn to Wikipedia for fossil related information.

Russ

I use it for pretty much all my information, got me this far. I've found it's more reliable than a lot of other source, especially news reports which are often used as sources. As all sources, it does have its flaws, although most problems are fixed within two days, and inaccuracies in controversial pages are fixed faster than can be seen!

Happy hunting,

Mason

59 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I use it for pretty much all my information, got me this far. I've found it's more reliable than a lot of other source, especially news reports which are often used as sources. As all sources, it does have its flaws, although most problems are fixed within two days, and inaccuracies in controversial pages are fixed faster than can be seen!

And it's definitely more accurate than a few of the posts on this forum ;)

(though I don't include anybody on this thread, you're all great!) :zen: