pefty

Years of collecting the strand line in Asbury Park, NJ, have revealed a lot of the rarer elements of the modern shallow marine fauna, as well as of the Cretaceous marine biota whose fossils wash up there. But this month I was astounded to come across this shell, which I believe to be a craniid brachiopod's dorsal valve. Based on its condition I can't be sure whether it's modern, subfossil, or even Cretaceous. It's matrix-free and shows signs of having been encrusted by cheilostome bryozoa.

Can someone confirm or refute this ID? Can someone with expertise in the Cretaceous coastal plain comment on the likelihood of this specimen's possible Cretaceous origin? Thanks!

r5.jpg

cr4.jpg

cr3.jpg

cr2.jpg

cr1.jpg

I agree with ynot.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Have a look on Calyptraeidae family, perhaps you will find it (Patella are Patellidae family, Diodora are Fissurellidae family and I don't think they have this little "thing" under them).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived