0lderthandirt

NW Arizona, walking the dog last week, stopped so he could water a tree, I looked down and found this. I thought it was the back half of a trilobite, but I've been wrong about everything else so it's very possible this is actually the head of a flying mud snail that infested the entire continent last year. Any thoughts? 

Thank you in advance

20170731_095359.jpg

20170731_095302.jpg

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

I agree, the trilo looks to be more complete than you may have thought, try to clear away that matrix a bit, if you have a scribe or a dental pick, or something of the like I would suggest using that. No flying mud snails here!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Brezinski 2017 tentatively assigned a similar pygidium to: Cummingella? sp.

IMG.jpg.910ebdc73df1d59ad4ddd772f7ebbd39.jpg

Brezinski, D.K. (2017)
Trilobites from the Redwall Limestone (Mississippian) of Arizona.
Annals of Carnegie Museum, 84(2):165-171

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree, the trilo looks to be more complete than you may have thought, try to clear away that matrix a bit, if you have a scribe or a dental pick, or something of the like I would suggest using that. No flying mud snails here!

I have a small pile of rocks here that I've unsuccessfully tried to reveal more or expose hidden fossils. I have scribes, dental picks all the way up to Jack hammer and a backhoe, what I'm lacking is good luck in not destroying the fossil. 

5 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I have a small pile of rocks here that I've unsuccessfully tried to reveal more or expose hidden fossils. I have scribes, dental picks all the way up to Jack hammer and a backhoe, what I'm lacking is good luck in not destroying the fossil. 

I know what you mean, it would be nice if that trilo could see the light of day though. I'm not great at it either, but trilos are worth the effort (especially with the rarity of them in Maryland, I have a grand total of zero from here, one from West Virginia, one from New Jersey, and one bought from morroco and Utah) this being said, they are so prized sending them to a pro could be a good idea. Some on the forum are great at prepwork.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, ynot said:

:yay-smiley-1:You are correct... it is a pygilium of a trilobite!

Congratulations!

Looks like there may be more under the matrix.(?)

:)  thank you. It's possible he's curled under that shell. What surprises me though is I haven't found another near where this was. 

Just now, 0lderthandirt said:

:)  thank you. It's possible he's curled under that shell. What surprises me though is I haven't found another near where this was. 

In some places and formations, trilobites are rare but present.

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, Arizona Chris said:

Nice Proetid!  Looks Mississippian?

Thank you.  

Help me understand this. ..

So my property is 6 miles southeast of grand canyon caverns. The caverns were formed during Mississippian.  Am I correct in saying that anything I find on or maybe a coupe feet deep is also Mississippian?  Inotherwords does the description for the caverns also accurately describe the age of any fossil I would find at my place or would there likely be exceptions? 

I just noticed below the trilo is crinoid fragment. I saw your other fossils you've posted, are these fossils common or once in a while finds?

Happy hunting,

Mason

22 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

...Am I correct in saying that anything I find on or maybe a coupe feet deep is also Mississippian?...

Probably, the Redwall Limestone is almost 600 ft thick:

youngest to oldest in thickness

Horseshoe Mesa Member - 37 ft.
Mooney Falls Member - 311 ft.
Thunder Springs Member - 138 ft.
Whitmore Wash Member - 101 ft.

Here are some excellent publications that will assist you further.  

Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send pdfs. 

McKee, E.D., & Gutschick, R.C. (1969)

History of the Redwall Limestone of northern Arizona. 

Geological Society of America Memoirs, 114:1-726

Carter, J.L., Brezinski, D.K., Kollar, A.D., & Dutro, J.T. (2014)

Brachiopoda taxonomy and biostratigraphy of the Redwall Limestone (Lower Mississippian) of Arizona.

Annals of Carnegie Museum, 82(3):257-290  PDF LINK

Brezinski, D.K. (2017)
Trilobites from the Redwall Limestone (Mississippian) of Arizona.
Annals of Carnegie Museum, 84(2):165-171

39 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I just noticed below the trilo is crinoid fragment. I saw your other fossils you've posted, are these fossils common or once in a while finds?

I replied to you but I don't see it. To be brief,  I have about 100 acres,  on about 40 almost every rock you pick up has fossils. The other 80 acres actually requires looking. Literally tons of fossils but mostly shells I think, just now learning what I'm looking at

1 hour ago, 0lderthandirt said:

The caverns were formed during Mississippian.  

Double check that statement. My guess is what was meant is that the cave is formed within the Mississippian rocks but that it actually didn't become a cave until sometime later. For one thing caves do not "form" underwater. They can later be submerged but the process requires different conditions.

I did just double check it and I do understand what you're saying. Thank you

2 hours ago, 0lderthandirt said:

what I'm lacking is good luck in not destroying the fossil

I'm the same way.  I'm pretty gun shy now regarding fossil prep unless it looks quite straight forward.

Russ

41 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I replied to you but I don't see it. To be brief,  I have about 100 acres,  on about 40 almost every rock you pick up has fossils. The other 80 acres actually requires looking. Literally tons of fossils but mostly shells I think, just now learning what I'm looking at

Interesting. Btw 40+80=120. Is the productive 40 on higher ground? Or at the foot of a hill?

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Interesting. Btw 40+80=120. Is the productive 40 on higher ground? Or at the foot of a hill?

LOL the new math is just so confusing!  

I have 2 40s and a 20. The highest AND lowest property is middle 40. Everything I've found comes from that middle 40 and into the adjacent 20 for maybe 50 yards. 

25 minutes ago, 0lderthandirt said:

LOL the new math is just so confusing!  

I have 2 40s and a 20. The highest AND lowest property is middle 40. Everything I've found comes from that middle 40 and into the adjacent 20 for maybe 50 yards. 

Hm. Just wondering why it's more productive then the other places. I'm at this point assuming that there is a highly eroded hill, and the eroded hill has rocks closer to the surface. I'm guessing rocks from this hill fell down to the lower area, hence the concentration there as well.

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Just wondering why it's more productive then the other places.

depositional differences can make a big difference on what areas of a formation have fossils or not.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

depositional differences can make a big difference on what areas of a formation have fossils or not.

Could be that as well. I'm always overthinking things, I guess that's slightly better than under thinking them (although I do that too occasionally).

Happy hunting,

Mason

I just made a quick video from outside my yard, which is basically on the border of the good 40 and 20. Poor quality and I think I moved to fast to pick up any fossil detail,  but it's less than 10mb, if you want I'll email it to you

1 minute ago, 0lderthandirt said:

I just made a quick video from outside my yard, which is basically on the border of the good 40 and 20. Poor quality and I think I moved to fast to pick up any fossil detail,  but it's less than 10mb, if you want I'll email it to you

Sure, I'll PM you my email. I'll see if I can determine if it's simply disposition or terrain.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I  Think ynot got it, looks like your whole properties on a hill, which brings the stone closer to the surface to erode (keeps away pesky dirt) the rest of it is down to the depostional envirment (things living more in one place than another, this could be due to many factors.). Looks like it's a good site though, so keep an eye out for things, who knows maybe a vertebrate will show itself someday, or more complete trilos! 

Happy hunting,

Mason