Shellseeker

16x9.5x5.2 mm

What it it?

Which animals are candidates?

Looking forward to questions, comments, WAGs and an identification. Found yesterday.

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Weird looking huff core, I don't have an idea as to the animal, but it will be interesting to see what others say!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

To me the shape reminds me of a bird claw, never had one in my hand tho and not sure what the cross section would look like Jack:) good luck, I'm sure someone will know

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

To me the shape reminds me of a bird claw, never had one in my hand tho and not sure what the cross section would look like Jack:) good luck, I'm sure someone will know

I was thinking the same exact thing, Jeff. But i'm still hesitant because of it's thickness and overall size. That would be from one BIG bird! 

@Harry Pristis can you shed some light on this? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Having looked around the internet, I am becoming less sure that it is a claw... The "connection" part of the claw is really odd , very different from bird claws and mammal hoof cores. 

I hope someone recognizes that part of this fossil, where it connects.  For comparison , look at these: None are smooth like this fossil...

variants_large_10307.jpg.86410a0d1d28b6dd10abcba490a8e38a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

13 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Any chance it could be a worn tortoise spur?

I think that suggestion may be closer to the truth.  This fossil does not seem to have connection to a "proximal" like bone.

But I have had equal difficulty in finding this pattern on any tortoise or turtle spurs..

Not my area but the end view makes me think the centre is infill material not part of the original so I would tend towards a crab or that family.

Only a guess based on what I see in the photo so could be way off.

Mike D"Arcy

3 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Not my area but the end view makes me think the centre is infill material not part of the original so I would tend towards a crab or that family.

Only a guess based on what I see in the photo so could be way off.

Mike D"Arcy

My first impression was also crab.  The irregular surface of the first pic looks crustacean.