Dagnab it! I forgot my camera again!

Ludwigia

I was halfway to the Wutach this morning when I suddenly realized that I'd forgotten my camera again. Sorry 'bout that :blush: There would have been some nice in situ shots, but at least I can show you what I found.

1.thumb.jpg.19e182bb4b2dc67c5500d96b78ec9e0c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.0eefec34254de74c8b68d730e7c36325.jpg

It was a really hot day, and despite the fact that I was in the shadow of the woods, I was sweating like a race horse. I held out for about 6 hours, consumed 2 liters of water and had just told myself I'd had enough when I decided to just chip out that corner over there.  And guess what? That big one at the top right popped out. A fine conclusion to a pretty successful hunt. I'll post some of these here as I get them prepped and I promise to do my best as far as cameras are concerned next time around.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

These are awful, Roger. I say you should just prep them and send them to me. :P

Great haul, and glad you stayed hydrated. Isn't it always the way - the best finds happen at the beginning or end of a hunt. That big one should come out superbly!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yup, only seeing like 1 or 2 ammos in that whole bunch, better save your efforts and just send them my way!

Unlike @Kane I would love some of those beauties unprepped ;) 

Nice haul!

Can't wait to see shots of them finished out!

6 hours ago, Kane said:

These are awful, Roger. I say you should just prep them and send them to me. :P

Great haul, and glad you stayed hydrated. Isn't it always the way - the best finds happen at the beginning or end of a hunt. That big one should come out superbly!

No rush, Kane, let's see what happens to them first:P. I'm sure hoping for that big one. It'll be the first I try. That sure is a funny thing often with the first and the last.

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Looking forward to seeing what Your prep skills do for these ugly rocks.

Now you be nice to those beautiful rocks.

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:hammer01::fingerscrossed:

4 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice set of rocks there, Roger. There isn't anything in them is there? 

:):ammonite01:

4 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Yup, only seeing like 1 or 2 ammos in that whole bunch, better save your efforts and just send them my way!

Unlike @Kane I would love some of those beauties unprepped ;) 

Nice haul!

Can't wait to see shots of them finished out!

Will do.

Got the big one and also a couple of smaller ones done that interested me today. It's a Choffatia sp. with a diameter of 15cm. Slightly corroded, but nevertheless not bad at all. It's a phragmocone which isn't even complete, originating from quite a large specimen. The venter is worn away at one point revealing the crystallized septa. Calcite and even a bit of Goethite, which was built with the help of the iron in the viscinity. There is also a Serpula sulcata tube worm in its belly button.

A1312a.thumb.jpg.bfc0d6ef4764e975b56c9ae96a897f89.jpg

A1312b.thumb.jpg.6a1c0d2516728f4310d0dc084fdd12c1.jpg

A1312e.jpg.ca33cb91d209c80d4a50ef465cb5b4c8.jpg

S32.jpg.f4bf276d7a2943d5b81e744c44f35cd5.jpg

The first of the smaller ones is a 4cm. Lissoceras sp., my largest of this infrequently occurring species to date. Interesting is that the innermost whorls are pressed together, whereas the rest is normal, even though it's a continuation of the phragmocone. There's also a little bivalve at the aperture.

A1310a.thumb.jpg.6dfd3d1c44157d356b0af7f0d7865c15.jpg

A1310b.thumb.jpg.f68a4ae278561f446f213dba6f7b08bb.jpg

And this one is just my 4th Bullatimorphites sp., another relatively rare species for these layers. 3.5cm. in diameter. I'd love to find a larger one someday. They are all quite fragile, at least the ones that I've found, and I'm beginning to wonder if that's because they have a relatively thin shell.

A1311a.thumb.jpg.c3743f2953c5b13a8bea01230f5fd4e9.jpg

A1311c.jpg.8f58fc1deefe02a932c84a21fc257a67.jpg

All three have their charms, but I love seeing all that is happening in the Choffatia sp. specimen, Roger. I think this one would really look nice in a caliper display stand if you could find one large enough. :) 

Leah

4 minutes ago, jewelonly said:

All three have their charms, but I love seeing all that is happening in the Choffatia sp. specimen, Roger. I think this one would really look nice in a caliper display stand if you could find one large enough. :) 

Leah

'scuse my ignorance. What's a caliper display?

PS. Never mind. I just googed it. Amazing how much information is at our finger tips :P

:D A month ago, I didn't know what it was either, but saw one displaying a large and beautiful calyx. :) 

I knew You would make some beautiful specimens from those ....... rocks You brought back this time.

You always do such a nice job.

Thanks for continuing to share these beauties.

PS Congratulations on the rare finds.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

14 hours ago, nala said:

Great finds Roger!

11 hours ago, ynot said:

I knew You would make some beautiful specimens from those ....... rocks You brought back this time.

You always do such a nice job.

Thanks for continuing to share these beauties.

PS Congratulations on the rare finds.

Many thanks to the both of you :D

I was working on something else today, but I did squeeze in this one since it didn't take all that long. Another Macrocephalites sp. 6cm.

A1314a.thumb.jpg.96744082dbdbce1e5ebb9dd582d68b1d.jpg

A1314b.thumb.jpg.58381eb71258d0288a26c1d1edba555a.jpg

A1314c.jpg.935aec31ba739d15d6decc372f035cab.jpg

23 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Got the big one and also a couple of smaller ones done that interested me today. It's a Choffatia sp. with a diameter of 15cm. Slightly corroded, but nevertheless not bad at all. It's a phragmocone which isn't even complete, originating from quite a large specimen. The venter is worn away at one point revealing the crystallized septa. Calcite and even a bit of Goethite, which was built with the help of the iron in the viscinity. There is also a Serpula sulcata tube worm in its belly button.

A1312a.thumb.jpg.bfc0d6ef4764e975b56c9ae96a897f89.jpg

A1312b.thumb.jpg.6a1c0d2516728f4310d0dc084fdd12c1.jpg

A1312e.jpg.ca33cb91d209c80d4a50ef465cb5b4c8.jpg

S32.jpg.f4bf276d7a2943d5b81e744c44f35cd5.jpg

Hi Roger!

I LOVE this first one!!!  The little decoration in the belly button is adorable, and the crystals growing inside are beautiful!  Excellent find and prep (as always!).

Monica

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Hi Roger!

I LOVE this first one!!!  The little decoration in the belly button is adorable, and the crystals growing inside are beautiful!  Excellent find and prep (as always!).

Monica

:) I count this one as a good representative of this genus for my collection and the little tube worm is a nice added attraction.

This time I managed to salvage a relatively well-preserved 9cm. diameter ammonite out of the lower koenigi zone, where the fossils usually just come out in bits and pieces at this exposure. I believe it to be a Homeoplanulites buchbergensis. It's a local, being named after the mount it was first discovered in, and where I've been digging and delving for a couple of years.

A1315a.thumb.jpg.24d24e7aa54e3a79b6a84c2b79b8cea7.jpg

A1315b.thumb.jpg.9382696491940cb5aff6965282c57e4d.jpg

More nice finds Roger! I have that camera memory problem too. I take my glasses off and then I cant remember where they are so I can even begin to see where the dang phone/camera might be. Oh its pretty funny and pathetic sometimes...I'm a mess. LOL. I was on a dirt pile admittedly in the setting sun late this week after work and I had the phone/camera in hand and was taking pics before I picked things up and thought I had a great shot of an unusual shaped bone only to pick it up and find out it was just a dang oak leaf! Did I just admit to that! LOL. 

Continued hunting success. Regards, Chris  

5 hours ago, Plantguy said:

More nice finds Roger! I have that camera memory problem too. I take my glasses off and then I cant remember where they are so I can even begin to see where the dang phone/camera might be. Oh its pretty funny and pathetic sometimes...I'm a mess. LOL. I was on a dirt pile admittedly in the setting sun late this week after work and I had the phone/camera in hand and was taking pics before I picked things up and thought I had a great shot of an unusual shaped bone only to pick it up and find out it was just a dang oak leaf! Did I just admit to that! LOL. 

Continued hunting success. Regards, Chris  

:D I have similar problems. When dusk sets in, every piece of rock at the exposure that I look at seems to have ribs on it. Then I know it's time to quit.

Looks like you have been pulling some choice specimens out of those rocks, Roger. Congratulations on your finds and the prep work that reveals such beauties. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Roger, you sure do find lots of stuff when you go fossil hunting.  Nice haul of ammo's. 

RB

6 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Looks like you have been pulling some choice specimens out of those rocks, Roger. Congratulations on your finds and the prep work that reveals such beauties. Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Roger, you sure do find lots of stuff when you go fossil hunting.  Nice haul of ammo's. 

RB

Thanks, guys :D

4 hours ago, JimB88 said:

Great stuff so far Roger! I hate getting serpula worm tubes in my belly button though...:D

They sure are uncomfortable :P

I had a break from prepping and instead had a couple of nice days playing around with my kids and grandkids, but I was back at it again today and managed to free up a few more things.

Macrocephalites verus. 6cm.

A1317a.thumb.jpg.76e71162803cdfd18ba6785a9341b1bd.jpg

A1317b.thumb.jpg.796e4a817bba39c17f46b95e2e187210.jpg

A1317c.jpg.8575244d4729dafbe46136782146fdd3.jpg

A double Choffatia sp.

37a.thumb.jpg.28723ef90164f5422663d76fff9fc3e3.jpg

37b.thumb.jpg.34ca7983b4f04453df6bddf2cc9bd2f9.jpg

37c.thumb.jpg.6890db6ba6023580fcd3e7826cd148cb.jpg

Homeoplanulites sp.

43a.thumb.jpg.60ff527b142d7fc1c3260307ca405e41.jpg