Very Large But Very Worn Unknown Trilobite?

Kurufossils

Hello, I live in one of those unlucky places that has the bare minimum of natural fossil bearing formation to the point there is pretty much none, I've found an odd location that has rocks I'm guessing from Upstate New York that are littered with Devonian fossils. I have very little knowledge of Devonian trilobites after searching this location I've found a few worn trilobites, but then I stumbled upon this worn monster with a head that seems to measure around 3.2 inches from eye to eye (since lucky they are still preserved enough to see the texture. I'm looking for any help if possible to help identifying this, I treasure this though its extremely broken and worn because I found them in a place that shouldn't have fossil material. Anything will be greatly appreciated, thank you and I'll provide some photos below (it maybe tough due to their condition) 

From personal research I can only compare it to a Trimerus delphinocephalus cause of the massive size but I am no trilobite expert, and I can only dream.

IMG_20170803_0134249661.jpg

IMG_20170803_013505598.jpg

IMG_20170803_013516878.jpg

Here is the scale compared to some of my hand, broken head shape begins towards the bottom of the picture.

IMG_20170803_013524119.jpg

Not seeing anything resembling a trilobite or other fossil here. Looks to be a rock with broken voids.

Also don't see any fossil here. Can you outline where you see the trilobite? It looks like just a natural broken rock surface.. 

I'll see if I can get better pictures and angels momentarily and make pointers to the suspicious areas, it may well be a rock but I'll post em to be 100% sure I see I didnt post the best angle, thank you for the response!

Yeah I will also outline as well in new pictures

Ok I got much better ones I'll post here soon

This is what I find suspicious, hope these are better pictures.

IMG_20170803_021454436.jpg

IMG_20170803_021607948.jpg

If anymore are needed I can get more if necessary.

unfourtunatly, it still seems like an ordinary rock. Well, a extraordinarily shaped one. I dont see any other trilobite feature except for that one "eye". Still a nice rock piece thou. If youre not satifsied and deem that rock worthlessz maybe you could try to get an inside look and there maybe could be a small chance of something being inside it.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Ah I see thats cool, the texture of that one eye bothered me so much and the other actual trilobites I have found there have been so worn so I kept it just in case, I will also share some pictures of the other ones soon since I don't exactly know the species.

Here are some of the other finds from that same day that look more like trilobites, though very unsure of the species.

IMG_20170803_022741857.jpg

IMG_20170803_022751481.jpg

IMG_20170803_022927977.jpg

The first rock appears to be just a rock, but those other pieces have trilobite pygidiums on them. I've heard of other glacial dump sites in the NYC area that contain fossiliferous rock. Cool finds and thanks for sharing.  

Those are horrible, just mail them to me so you can get them out of your sight:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks! Haha I appreciate even the horrible ones, luckily I have an old rock collection I could just throw that piece in then but hey I can appreciate an old rock that from somepoint in the Devonian. 

11 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

Thanks! Haha I appreciate even the horrible ones, luckily I have an old rock collection I could just throw that piece in then but hey I can appreciate an old rock that from somepoint in the Devonian. 

Honestly, way better than any I've found! Good job, and hope further hunts prove just as successful!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Thanks! I hope so to, its a very small area but as the rocks naturally break apart I hope there more interesting things to uncover next time! Also these rocks actual as a giant nest for hornets which is unpleasant, a giant one landed on my leg as I was looking (luckily it didn't stay long), and its a lil tough to navigate one slip and you bruise yourself pretty bad as I have.

3 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@WhodamanHD Thanks! I hope so to, its a very small area but as the rocks naturally break apart I hope there more interesting things to uncover next time! Also these rocks actual as a giant nest for hornets which is unpleasant, a giant one landed on my leg as I was looking (luckily it didn't stay long), and its a lil tough to navigate one slip and you bruise yourself pretty bad as I have.

Yes, erosion: collectors best friend and worst enemy. Living things always seem to get in the way of finding the dead ones, it's an obstacle. Fossil collecting has its hazards, but I'd say it's worth the risks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD For sure normally I'd be bother but I didn't wince because of the fossil hunting adrenaline so it definitely is worth it. I'd say calvert is worseconsidering you can be crushed by a cliff in a moments noticed, plus almost had a large snake fall on top of me, there was a flesh eating bacteria sign on for the water and I just happened to trip and cut my leg open but didn't stop there at all.

7 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@WhodamanHD For sure normally I'd be bother but I didn't wince because of the fossil hunting adrenaline so it definitely is worth it. I'd say calvert is worseconsidering you can be crushed by a cliff in a moments noticed, plus almost had a large snake fall on top of me, there was a flesh eating bacteria sign on for the water and I just happened to trip and cut my leg open but didn't stop there at all.

Sounds like a normal Tuesday:P

Jk, ji haven't gone to the cliffs in a while ( I live in carroll county and I mainly hunt west or north of it), although I plan to go back. It's definitely a hazardous place.  I also am anesthetized by the joy of fossil hunting, can't even remember how many times I've hurt myself when I'm covered with mud and just not noticed (no infections so far). Many a time have I carried things really way heavier than I should, but the andreneline pushed me through.

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD That be lucky, if I loved in that area it would a normal Monday-Sunday ordeal, yeah its its surreal concepts of lie, death, and exhaustion go right out the window. I know someone who actually got a bad infection but still goes anyways lol.

Archived