Petrified wood

AngelB

I have a 600 plus pound petrified log with the petrified bark intact. Due to its size I can't add it to my collection.

I have no clue where to even start to find a buyer.

This is the first piece I've ever tried to sell.

Welcome to the forum. :) 

There are the usual auction sites. As we can't give you a valuation on the piece on the forum, you can always see what comparable items sell for there to get a sense of what they may usually sell for. 

You may also have the option of selling it here on the forum in our member-to-member sales thread, but that privilege only becomes available after a member has contributed a significant amount to the forum by way of posts and engagement.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, AngelB said:

I have a 600plus pound petrified log with the petrified bark intact. Due to its size I can't add it to my collection.

600 + lb petrified log is a bit impractical as a retail item. :unsure: 

Can't even imagine what the shipping would cost. :headscratch:

In the interest of keeping this as an information/picture sharing Forum, rather than a commercial/selling forum, talk of sales outside of the Member to Member Sales Forum is not allowed here. :( 

As Kane stated, after establishing yourself as a contributing member here, by contributing a number of meaningful and substantive posts you will gain access to that Forum. 

Until then, I'm afraid you will have to look elsewhere to market your find. 

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. :)  

Kind regards. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

How do I become a contributing member? I hope I didn't do anything to offend anyone that was definitely not my intentions I am just oblivious as what to do with it due to it being so large 

Being a contributing member is as simple as just leaping in and getting involved in posting content, replying to other posts, and engaging with our passion for fossils. :) It really does not take too long to achieve good standing and have some of the other privileges unlocked.

We are united by our love of fossils here, and if that is your passion as well, you're in the right place. Ideally, selling your piece would be a distant and remote secondary goal for being here. :) We're keener on the knowledge aspect of fossils rather than their commercial value ;) 

Rather than asking about selling, why not post your find in our fossil ID? I'm sure many of us would be curious to see a 600lb piece of petrified wood, and we could also help in confirming it as much as photos may allow. If you choose to go that route, do tell us a bit about where it was found.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You haven't offended anyone. ;) 

You just have to understand, we have people who come here solely to try to peddle their wares, and while we do allow some trading and selling, it is not the focus of this forum.

Rules were put into place to keep this Forum from becoming a constant source of marketing and ads for peoples fossil businesses. 

Unscrupulous individuals will sometimes try to skirt the rules by indirectly offering items for sale .

You can become a contributing member by:

Posting your collection, under the Member Collections Forum. 

Welcoming new members, and commenting on other's posts. 

Participating in conversations about fossils that intrigue you. 

And by posting fossil finds of yours that may require identification. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

just drop it in my yard, I'll take it free of charge!:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On "the" auction site or any other for that matter,you can always set it up for Local pick up only. That way you don't have any nightmares about shipping such a huge piece.

Yes, we would enjoy seeing some pictures.

P.S.- I have seen entire petrified trees for sale before.  I can't begin to imagine the logistics of relocating something like that.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

17 hours ago, AngelB said:

I have a 600 plus pound petrified log with the petrified bark intact.

Size aside, what I find remarkable is the intact bark. That's quite rare, especially for older material. Could you provide a picture of this? What geological formation/age is your log from?

Searching for green in the dark grey.

600 lbs.  That kinda trims down the amount of buyers out there?   The 'bark' being intact sounds very interesting though.  Good luck

RB

Archived