One Giant Huge Ammonite !!!

RJB

Here is what my son brought home yesterday.  Freakin Huge!!!   Its missing most of the fragmacone, but it measures 24 inches!   I popped off the rest of the rock on the 'top side'.  Only took about 5 minutes and you can see that it is a bit crushed, but after talking to my ammonite buddy, he tells me that another ammonite of the right size and the right prezervation that he can make it look whole again.  And believe me, this guy is a master at putting two different ammo's together!!!  Just might turn out to be a purty dang nice ammonite?   Oh, and I saved all the rock that came off this thing in order to put shell material back on. You cant see it, but there is lots of color!!!    Gunna be a job though.  Once done, it will be in my sons house.  Purty dang heavy also!!!! 

RB

DSCN1177.JPG

DSCN1178.JPG

Nice ammonite! Good luck on the prep

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

If you include the time to fully prep the phragmacone that will become the other half of this chimera with the number, it could easily take 50 hours to have a finished piece.

Archived