Triceratops Brow Horn or Ankylosaur Spike Dinosaur or ...?

emc2

I purchased it from eBay. It's from the Lance Formation of Eastern, WY.

The exterior surface of the bone is pitted and has grooves just like a Triceratops brow horn.  However, all of the Triceratops horns I have seen are conical, meaning they are round in cross section which this fossil is not.  The cross section looks more triangular or diamond-like.  This fossil has no compression or cracks in it which leads me to believe that the true cross section is more triangular or diamond-like than round in shape.  The only other horns/spikes that would have surface bone texture like this and have that shape would be a large Ankylosaur side/shoulder spike.  The fossil is partial so I cannot make a 100% definite ID either way so it is possibly a strangely shaped Triceratops brow horn section or a partial Ankylosaur side spike.  

s-l1600-29.jpg

s-l1600-28.jpg

s-l1600-27.jpg

s-l1600-26.jpg

s-l1600-25.jpg

s-l1600-24.jpg

s-l1600-23.jpg

s-l1600-22.jpg

s-l1600-21.jpg

s-l1600-20.jpg

s-l1600-19.jpg

Its the end of a brow horn. We have quite a few being worked on in the prep lab here at the museum. I've seen the triangular cross-section as well as round and ovoid, towards the tip.

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 month later...

I don't find any information on internet about it .

Could you give me some information about it.

On 2017/8/4 at 5:34 PM, hxmendoza said:

Its the end of a brow horn. We have quite a few being worked on in the prep lab here at the museum. I've seen the triangular cross-section as well as round and ovoid, towards the tip.

hxmendosa's info is form personal experience, as is mine.  I also see a ceratopsian brow horn.  The concavity at the base is also not like an ankylosaur spike.  I would say it is closer to the base than the tip.  

13 hours ago, emc2 said:

Maybe look for pictures of other triceratops brow horns and compare them to ankylosaur scutes