Virgilian

YouTube Video--Clarkia Idaho Middle Miocene Fossil Leaves

Virgilian    37
Virgilian

Here's a video that makes you want to drop everything and visit the fantastic Clarkia, Idaho, Middle Miocene (15 million years old) fossil leaf-bearing locality. Extraordinary preservation. Plants preserved with their original pigmentation. And you can actually lift the leaves off the matrix for detailed study of the specimens.

A video co-produced by Bucknell University, the University of Idaho, and the Botanical Society of America:

Foozil    79
Foozil

I wish all rocks were that easy to split :P

Amazing fossils! :wub:

Also, I thought DNA doesn't last for 15 million years? Hmm.

doushantuo    1,470
doushantuo

Even the plant waxes are preserved

hyaeckbarcpl1rcjjomages.jpg

haeckbarcpl1rcjjomages.jpg

doushantuo    1,470
doushantuo

I am beginning to see why literature is sparse,BTW:ninja:

WhodamanHD    278
WhodamanHD
9 hours ago, Foozil said:

Also, I thought DNA doesn't last for 15 million years? Hmm.

Of course not! It can last much much longer! collagen strands similar to birds have been discovered in Tyrannosaurus rex fossils. This went unknown because no one ever thought to try, they thought it would be futile. DNA is fragile, but so are leaves. If they are preserved, why not DNA? Well of course it's easy contamination and destruction, but ya know, probability and stuff sometimes works in our favor.

Foozil    79
Foozil
6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Of course not! It can last much much longer! collagen strands similar to birds have been discovered in Tyrannosaurus rex fossils. This went unknown because no one ever thought to try, they thought it would be futile. DNA is fragile, but so are leaves. If they are preserved, why not DNA? Well of course it's easy contamination and destruction, but ya know, probability and stuff sometimes works in our favor.

Hmm ok. 

https://www.livescience.com/38150-dna-degradation-rate.html

WhodamanHD    278
WhodamanHD
1 hour ago, Foozil said:

That sounds like a skeptical "ok". That article is from 2013 too, science seems to be progressing faster in single years than they have in previous decades, moores law I guess. Here's an article on some proteins found, it seems paleontologists are looking for it more now.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/scientists-retrieve-80-million-year-old-dinosaur-protein-milestone-paper

Foozil    79
Foozil
13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

That sounds like a skeptical "ok". That article is from 2013 too, science seems to be progressing faster in single years than they have in previous decades, moores law I guess. Here's an article on some proteins found, it seems paleontologists are looking for it more now.

Wasn't meant to sound skeptical :P And that makes sense, the video I watched that states DNA degrades or decomposes quite quickly is from a while ago.

WhodamanHD    278
WhodamanHD
1 hour ago, Foozil said:

Wasn't meant to sound skeptical :P And that makes sense, the video I watched that states DNA degrades or decomposes quite quickly is from a while ago.

Sorry, text don't convey emotion like speech. The appear may be right, just some happen to live longer. Happy hunting, and I'm expecting you to find some ancient Marsupial DNA, I need a pet diprododon!:P

Foozil    79
Foozil
1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Sorry, text don't convey emotion like speech. The appear may be right, just some happen to live longer. Happy hunting, and I'm expecting you to find some ancient Marsupial DNA, I need a pet diprododon!:P

Will do! :P

Happy hunting