An Exceptionally Preserved Three-Dimensional Armored Dinosaur Reveals Insights into Coloration and Cretaceous Predator-Prey Dynamics

Doctor Mud

This fossil has been posted on here before:

But, here are the exciting outcomes of their research on this exceptionally preserved fossil:

This one is open access :fistbump:

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(17)30808-4

An Exceptionally Preserved Three-Dimensional Armored Dinosaur Reveals Insights into Coloration and Cretaceous Predator-Prey Dynamics

Caleb M. Brown

Donald M. Henderson

Roger E. Summons

Show more

Highlights

A new armored dinosaur is described based on an exceptionally preserved specimen

Abundant in situ osteoderms with keratinous sheaths and scales are preserved

Reddish-brown coloration and crypsis in the form of countershading are indicated

Crypsis indicates strong predation pressure on this large, heavily armored dinosaur

Summary

Predator-prey dynamics are an important evolutionary driver of escalating predation mode and efficiency, and commensurate responses of prey [1, 2 and 3]. Among these strategies, camouflage is important for visual concealment, with countershading the most universally observed [4, 5 and 6]. Extant terrestrial herbivores free of significant predation pressure, due to large size or isolation, do not exhibit countershading. Modern predator-prey dynamics may not be directly applicable to those of the Mesozoic due to the dominance of very large, visually oriented theropod dinosaurs [7]. Despite thyreophoran dinosaurs’ possessing extensive dermal armor, some of the most extreme examples of anti-predator structures [8 and 9], little direct evidence of predation on these and other dinosaur megaherbivores has been documented. Here we describe a new, exquisitely three-dimensionally preserved nodosaurid ankylosaur, Borealopelta markmitchelli gen. et sp. nov., from the Early Cretaceous of Alberta, which preserves integumentary structures as organic layers, including continuous fields of epidermal scales and intact horn sheaths capping the body armor. We identify melanin in the organic residues through mass spectroscopic analyses and observe lighter pigmentation of the large parascapular spines, consistent with display, and a pattern of countershading across the body. With an estimated body mass exceeding 1,300 kg, B. markmitchelli was much larger than modern terrestrial mammals that either are countershaded or experience significant predation pressure as adults. Presence of countershading suggests predation pressure strong enough to select for concealment in this megaherbivore despite possession of massive dorsal and lateral armor, illustrating a significant dichotomy between Mesozoic predator-prey dynamics and those of modern terrestrial systems.

The graphical abstract:

IMG_3850.JPG.f32c6aef8c14bfdd38b0001e68a2002b.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/08/nodosaur-dinosaur-fossil-study-borealopelta-coloration-science/

An amazingly well preserved specimen. Well done to the paleontologist who decided on the name!!!

• I found this Informative 3

I'm on my phone :wacko:

my thumbs can't move fast enough to keep up!

This was in the same journal as our new genus of spiney worm. At least this one is open access!

Admin - feel free to combine posts if you think these should all be together :dinothumb:

47 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I'm on my phone :wacko:

my thumbs can't move fast enough to keep up!

This was in the same journal as our new genus of spiney worm. At least this one is open access!

Admin - feel free to combine posts if you think these should all be together :dinothumb:

Done! ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Snarge! I thought I had a scoop!!! I should have known you guys would have beaten me to the punch. :wacko:

It must have been close!

Our fossil news antennae were tuning into the news at about the same time.

What a magnificent fossil eh?

i wound love to see this in person.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

It must have been close!

Our fossil news antennae were tuning into the news at about the same time.

What a magnificent fossil eh?

i wound love to see this in person.

+1!!!!!!!!! It looks awesome.

Updated the first entry with a link to the first post by @Susan from PA on the forum about this discovery.

nice to see the resulting paper.

Definitely on my list of top 10 fossils ever....