Florida Peace River unknown

Sacha

August is my month to catalog my fossils from the previous 12 months and summarize them in the required report to the Univ. of Florida so that my fossil permit can be renewed. As I grouped my stuff together, I found a few unknowns, mostly fragmentary, that I'd appreciate a little help with. This first one, I think, is pretty cool looking and appears to be complete.  I'm not going to mess with the fragmentary stuff, since most of them aren't display worthy.

Here's the little cool one from front, back and side.

DSCF1470.thumb.jpg.674b67851140baaa5c6d6c7de3aeaa45.jpg

DSCF1471.thumb.jpg.84191a606204d50dbbae501bbcacfacc.jpg

DSCF1472.thumb.jpg.2e780c8b11ca701f0347ed0ce014192d.jpg

My first thought as well. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

38 minutes ago, ynot said:

Tilly bone is My first thought.

I've got about a hundred tilly bones Tony and none of them have any texture to them.......all are flat finish and basically featureless. This guy is very hard and shiny as you can see, with those axial creases that really puzzle me. I was thinking more like a weird osteoderm or ?

I think I'm also going with some sort of hyperostotic fish bone ("tilly bone").

Here's some found and posted by forum member @Al Dente in another thread.

hyper.many.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Thanks Cris. All 3 of you guys are better at this than I am so I shouldn't fight it!

3 hours ago, Cris said:

I think I'm also going with some sort of hyperostotic fish bone ("tilly bone").

Here's some found and posted by forum member @Al Dente in another thread.

hyper.many.JPG

Cris,

Back in 2015, I found a Tilly in the Myakka.  I always try to identify every fossil in as much detail as possible.  The Tilly on the right seems identical. I am curious on whether @Al Dente has identified the fish.

MyakkaTilybone2.thumb.jpg.bf6c501a3b464cd44592e3c291a0e0f9.jpg

John, when I saw this fossil which I have never seen previously,  I thought fossilized seed might be a candidate. I have found fossilized wood, tree roots... why not a seed. If Tillybone from the Peace, I have never seen one like it.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Cris,

Back in 2015, I found a Tilly in the Myakka.  I always try to identify every fossil in as much detail as possible.  The Tilly on the right seems identical. I am curious on whether @Al Dente has identified the fish.

MyakkaTilybone2.thumb.jpg.bf6c501a3b464cd44592e3c291a0e0f9.jpg

I don't know what fish my Tilly bones are from. They are from recent fish skeletons that I found on Grand Isle in Louisiana many weeks after the Deep Water Horizon oil spill. I've read that hyperostosed bones are common in several types of jacks. 

Hey John, I've got one partial that is similar to yours somewhere. Never did figure out what it was. glad to have an answer. Most of the tillys I do have dont have that distinct pattern but it doesnt surprise me that it is one. Lots of strange ones. Regards, Chris