Hungry Hollow fossils

Monica

Hi everyone!

I'm finally starting to go through some of the things that Viola and I found when we visited Hungry Hollow back in April in preparation of doing a trade, and I was looking for some help with identifying the following items:

Item #1, front and back: A tabulate coral perhaps?  I think I can see corallites in the "back" photo... (or maybe a bryozoan...)

DSCN2002.JPG.9a1c5dd05a45cec296184b43c6bb65bf.JPGDSCN2005.JPG.94a3ae34f57be6991c3bf6efc5eed3cb.JPG

Item #2, front and back: Another tabulate coral? (or perhaps another bryozoan...)

DSCN2011.JPG.6f460b8c6a38183067573c43c75b1a33.JPGDSCN2012.JPG.eca5cac9d94b54022baac86f2ca3eeff.JPG

Item #3, front and back: A bryozoan?  This one looks different - it kind of looks like frilly layers...

DSCN2006.JPG.82c6b93989a8e1561c8d12a553af440c.JPGDSCN2008.JPG.f67ff2a4e858d9a95f78f50a4773f4d5.JPG

Thanks in advance!  I may end up posting more stuff so keep an eye out for more requests for help!!!

Monica

I think they're all coral. I agree with Kane's assessment of the last one. The first one could be a Favosites and the second one Favosites placenta.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, ynot said:

They look small for coral, I think they are bryozoan.

But they aint My strong point.

Hi Tony!

I would've thought the same thing, but a few months ago I requested identification help for a piece that was given to me as a gift - I assumed that they were bryozoans due to the small pores present, but the consensus was that they were indeed corals - the thread can be found here:

Thanks for chiming in!

Monica

Probably I'm wrong, but they almost look like the reef-builder polychaete worm Sabellaria  tubes or similar.

pictures here

DSCN2002.JPG.9a1c5dd05a45cec296184b43c6bb65bf.JPG.147f3d91837d4de6ef3b34040a739c1b.JPG

Les-recifs-et-leur-environnement_c_slideshow-carousel_default.thumb.jpg.635dc1a521ed1aaa1e29706b9ce7924c.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Your first one appears to be a Favosites turbinatus. The bottom of that specimens is broken off.

The second one is another type of Favosites and placenta is a good guess.

The third is Alveolites goldfussi.

Joe

Hi Monica,

All specimens are tabulate corals belonging to the order Favositida.

1 - Favosites turbinatus (your specimen is from the Encrinal Limestone, Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation)

2 - Favosites (species possibly placenta, Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation)

3 - Alveolites (species likely goldfussi, Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation)

Remember to include locality information if you haven't already, e.g. South Pit, Hungry Hollow, ON.

7 hours ago, middevonian said:

Hi Monica,

All specimens are tabulate corals belonging to the order Favositida.

1 - Favosites turbinatus (your specimen is from the Encrinal Limestone, Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation)

2 - Favosites (species possibly placenta, Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation)

3 - Alveolites (species likely goldfussi, Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation)

Remember to include locality information if you haven't already, e.g. South Pit, Hungry Hollow, ON.

Hi there!

I found all of these in the South Pit of Hungry Hollow, just lying on the ground in the mud.

Thank you everyone for all of your help in identifying these three specimens!  I purchased a few Hungry Hollow fossils back in March (just to get our collections started before we actually headed out there - I wasn't sure of how well Viola and I would do when we actually went collecting ourselves), and I only acquired Favosites placenta through this purchase, so Favosites turbinatus and Alveolites sp. (goldfussi?) are new ones for me - yay!

Thanks so much!

Monica

Archived