Post Oak Creek July 2017 - teeth and miscellaneous finds

Styles

Brand new to the forum, but learned about Post Oak Creek from you guys, so figured I'd share some of my finds from the two trips I've made out there so far.  Not pictured are ptychodus teeth and various bone and/or shell fragments.  If you wouldn't mind, I would like some help identifying some of the non-shark teeth as well as one shark tooth in particular. Those will be directly below this in the thread due to size limits. Thanks in advance!

Ps. for those who aren't local, Post Oak Creek is in Sherman, TX and cuts through a Cretaceous (?) formation.

IMG_6811.JPG

First, here's a shark tooth that was particular thick and blunt.  Not sure how to ID it...

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

IMG_6820.JPG

Next, here's a couple teeth (?) that seem to have a broken root on the tapered end, and some kind of a chewing surface on the larger end:

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

ID part 3: 

These pieces seem to possibly be geologic, but i'm not convinced.  The one on the right looks almost like a chewed up insect, as I think I can make out pieces of an exoskeleton, and the other has bizarre notches on it that make me think it might be a bone fragment? Both are very hard, smooth, and dense.

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

ID Pt 4 - this little guy.  Leaning towards alligator tooth or small specimen of horned coral (notice all the pores on the surface - no obvious evidence of enamel)

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

Your second set of pictures show the root ends of sawfish rostral teeth, most likely Ischyrhiza mira.

4 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Your second set of pictures show the root ends of sawfish rostral teeth, most likely Ischyrhiza mira.

Al Dente - Thank you, after researching, that's exactly what they look like

I agree, rostral teeth.  There are "crawfish" in post oak, and it appears you have some crustaceans there.  I live in Sherman.  Rarely hit POC anymore though. L

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Here's a better example of one.  They are very poorly preserved and sometimes you just find bits of the underside or the top.

IMG_8582-2.jpg

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

On 8/4/2017 at 3:26 PM, Styles said:

Next, here's a couple teeth (?) that seem to have a broken root on the tapered end, and some kind of a chewing surface on the larger end:

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

Yes saw tooth rostral spine.  Here is a complete one I found at NSR

IMG_0722.JPG

• 1 month later...

Wow, awesome finds! I go up to Post Oak Creek a couple times a month now - cool spot and fun because I know I will find teeth and find them quickly. :dinothumb:

6 hours ago, CrazyDiamond said:

Wow, awesome finds! I go up to Post Oak Creek a couple times a month now - cool spot and fun because I know I will find teeth and find them quickly. :dinothumb:

I love that place - I went up a few weeks ago and was a little disoriented now that a lot of the banks that I was familiar with washed out.  Was still pretty productive nonetheless.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:08 PM, Styles said:

I love that place - I went up a few weeks ago and was a little disoriented now that a lot of the banks that I was familiar with washed out.  Was still pretty productive nonetheless.

I know right, I went up there right after all the floods and it was crazy how everything moved around and now that great big snake pit or so I call it thing is even closer to where I like to dig in the water.  I was hoping to find something really awesome too but I just found all the same little bitty teeth,  but still it’s cool. 

Archived