Unknown Vertebra

bjkibz

So my friend recently bought a fossil and is unsure as to what exactly it is. We unfortunately don't know the formation or locality, but we are reasonably sure it is some sort of vertebra. Any help would be appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."

Not having locality information makes it a bit difficult as vertebrae can be quite similar for many different animals.

My guess is a cervical vertebra from a marine mammal, most likely a cetacean.

similar to many whale verts I've found as well, maybe @Boesse will take a look to confirm. He's the resident expert on them:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks all. Sorry for the lack of information -- the tag that came with it was faded beyond legibility. 

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."

@bjkibz

I agree it is likely a marine mammal vert. What are the dimensions of it? Length, width and thickness.

Also let me add using U.S. coins for size reference is not a good idea as we have many members from other countries who may not know the size of our coins. Also, in hand shots, while they look nice to you (and I am not complaining about your photo quality, it is very good) are also no help as we have no idea of the size of your hands. It is best to use some type of ruler for size reference, preferably in millimeters / centimeters. That is the world standard; except for here in the U.S. of course, although many of us use metric scales on a daily basis in our jobs.

And welcome to the forum, this is a great place.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

3 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

@bjkibz

I agree it is likely a marine mammal vert. What are the dimensions of it? Length, width and thickness.

Also let me add using U.S. coins for size reference is not a good idea as we have many members from other countries who may not know the size of our coins. Also, in hand shots, while they look nice to you (and I am not complaining about your photo quality, it is very good) are also no help as we have no idea of the size of your hands. It is best to use some type of ruler for size reference, preferably in millimeters / centimeters. That is the world standard; except for here in the U.S. of course, although many of us use metric scales on a daily basis in our jobs.

And welcome to the forum, this is a great place.

I would estimate it at about 3" wide X 4" long X 1.3" thick at the longest extent of each dimension. And thanks for the advice!

Cervical vertebra of a baleen whale - with what appear to be some rather epic barnacle scars incised into the bone!

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Boesse said:

Cervical vertebra of a baleen whale - with what appear to be some rather epic barnacle scars incised into the bone!

Hi Bobby,

Yeah, that specimen went from your average whale vertebra to a cool display piece for the scientist or amateur with those barnacle scars - a trace fossil on a fossil.  It reminds me of a big Palaeoparadoxia molar I once saw from the Lower Santa Margarita.  It had mollusk borings through it with the whole piece naturally sanded to a nice polish.

Sometimes I think about the culture shock of moving from the San Mateo area to New Zealand and then to Charleston.  I hope you picked up some cool souvenirs while in NZ.  I was in San Mateo last week.  It's pretty much the same.  What I like about the South is that you can get great barbecue at a gas station and good iced tea just about anywhere.

Jess

20 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Bobby,

Yeah, that specimen went from your average whale vertebra to a cool display piece for the scientist or amateur with those barnacle scars - a trace fossil on a fossil.  It reminds me of a big Palaeoparadoxia molar I once saw from the Lower Santa Margarita.  It had mollusk borings through it with the whole piece naturally sanded to a nice polish.

Sometimes I think about the culture shock of moving from the San Mateo area to New Zealand and then to Charleston.  I hope you picked up some cool souvenirs while in NZ.  I was in San Mateo last week.  It's pretty much the same.  What I like about the South is that you can get great barbecue at a gas station and good iced tea just about anywhere.

Jess

I have had no shortage of culture shock! Including just California after 3 years of NZ. Picked up a few souvenirs but couldn't really afford to bring much back. Publications and technical skills count, right?

3 hours ago, Boesse said:

I have had no shortage of culture shock! Including just California after 3 years of NZ. Picked up a few souvenirs but couldn't really afford to bring much back. Publications and technical skills count, right?

I guess three years is too short for an accent? :P

Some people pick up accents more easily than others....

Seems like you had some great experiences in NZ and with your skills and pubs, sounds like great souvenirs to me.