Very Large Very Worn Poss Trilobite Partial? Part 2

Kurufossils

Hi, Im sorry to be back on this topic again but the suspicion is bothering my way to much after spending even more time looking at this piece and comparing it that resembles a very worn, broken up trilobite head from a possibly large one, the location (New York) I found this in I also found other more clearer trilobites but also a few that are 100%trilobite but worn to point that they nearly blend in right with the rock and have minimal features, my guts bothering the hell out of me so I provided a final set of even better photos below from an angle that I haven't posted on the original thread 

Hoping for someone to lay me to rest once again and tell me its a rock one more time :) , the texture though barely visible in the photo makes me believe its something, if not trilobite it doesn't share the same consistency as the surrounding rock and shale in certain areas and upon very close examination has very minimal fractions of pieces with a celluloid trilobitey or living thing texture. 

IMG_20170804_175556075.jpg

IMG_20170804_175614350.jpg

IMG_20170804_175702066.jpg

IMG_20170804_175715357.jpg

IMG_20170804_175719397.jpg

IMG_20170804_175725108.jpg

Not a trilobite, maybe slickensides?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Interesting I haven't heard of that before but did a quick google search to brush up, it would definitely make sense but be one very annoyingly shaped case of slickensides lol. 

8 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

@WhodamanHD Interesting I haven't heard of that before but did a quick google search to brush up, it would definitely make sense but be one very annoyingly shaped case of slickensides lol. 

They are quite annoying in many ways, sometimes (I recently learned of) nodules get slickensided, these are called guilimites (maybe this is a misshapen one). 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Maybe a worn sponge, glass sponge ?

muse294b.jpg.ba449eca790ae30768bada171964b5ad.jpg

link

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm probably the last person to give anyone advise on fossils but I'll tell you my opinion anyways. You spent the time there,  among the thousands of rocks and actually picked out a few with trilobites so you know what you are looking at. You may not be able to make the argument online with pictures. That doesn't mean that you can't make a good argument in person by showing someone the obvious find and then point by point make your case with the worn piece.  Just don't expect trilobites-r-us to buy it from you. Sometimes you have to follow your gut. Keep it as a worn specimen. Someday you may find one that's in between good and worn to validate it, or not. 

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

I think this is most likely a concretion. I'm definitely not seeing a trilobite. 

As @WhodamanHD noted, the striations could be slickenslides that form due to sliding of the host rock over the surface of the concretion during lithification.

I can see why You think it looks like a trilobite, but the appearance is superficial.

If You examine the piece for the morphology and detail of a trilobite You should be able to see the difference.

In particular look at the rest of the shape, not just the "eyes"-- none of it fits with the shape of a trilobite cephalon.

It could be a worn fossil, or a concretion, but it does not look like a trilobite.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you very much for all the responses! I'm definately leaning more towards a concretion now with some slickenslides, and if it was a worn fossil I'd guess either a sort of coral, sponge, or even a sea scorpion. Definitely holding onto it though. Heres some pictures of whats underneath theres a suspicious scaly texture but besides that i don't think theres much else there but I'll share anyways just in case @WhodamanHD @abyssunder @Doctor Mud @ynot

IMG_20170804_22300139911.jpg

IMG_20170804_223033188.jpg

IMG_20170804_223044518.jpg

IMG_20170804_223143722.jpg

@0lderthandirt Haha I wouldn't even sell it to trilobites-r-us even if it existed, I never sell personal finds regardless of what they are or aren't, definitely holding onto it just in case I ever stumble across something similar. 

That scaly thing could be a trilobite eye, can you get a closer picture? If your lucky there could be a cephalon or more under there!

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Certainly! That would be neat, I'll see if I can get a closer better one in a few of that section and play around in photoshop to try and make it as clear as possible.

Looks to be pleurodictyum, a tabulate coral.

Not a trilo, but cool.

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Awesome thanks, I can add it where I keep the corals. Also I forgot to add this piece I also found as well, definitely something very worn but I'm very unsure.

IMG_20170804_2308320501.jpg

It looks like bryozoans and maybe trilobits (not to be confused with trilobites [trilobits are trilobite fragments) although I'm not confident with the trilobits, others may be able to verify.

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Interesting! This is pretty much one of the pieces that started the worn trilobite conspiracies haha. I'll have to brush up on my Devonian I'm to use to Miocene, Eocene, and Mesozoic material than anything else. Hopefully its some trilobits

4 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

@WhodamanHD Interesting! This is pretty much one of the pieces that started the worn trilobite conspiracies haha. I'll have to brush up on my Devonian I'm to use to Miocene, Eocene, and Mesozoic material than anything else. Hopefully its some trilobits

I know what you mean, fossil hunting is like an ocean to me, most of the time Im out of my depth. I do like to dip my toe in once in a while though. Devonian is most of what Ive hunted in, but I'm trying to get into the Mesozoic. The problem is the closest formation (the Gettysburg formation) has no real sites (that haven't been destroyed) and most outcrops are private. I'm getting there though....

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Ah that sucks, I usually have to go into new jersey to hunt which not often so I enjoy the very little Devonian site here, I pretty much first got into Devonian once I was able to obtain some dunkleosteus material it being one of my favorites.  

8 minutes ago, Ryann10006 said:

@WhodamanHD Ah that sucks, I usually have to go into new jersey to hunt which not often so I enjoy the very little Devonian site here, I pretty much first got into Devonian once I was able to obtain some dunkleosteus material it being one of my favorites.  

I don't have any armed fish, but they are very interesting critters. I have went to the Devonian because it's the closest and first (and most legal) site I know. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD I find them  most fascinating I plan to collect them all when I have money, since I'm no where near where I can find em. I see hopefully your site is plentiful, the one near me will never naturally replenish so a few trips and its pretty much finished since its illegal to break open the rocks there unless this naturally break (or by accident erm...) Oh I figured since I'm guessing your from or near Maryland you would closer to and be in Calvert or the potomac alot.

7 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@WhodamanHD I find them  most fascinating I plan to collect them all when I have money, since I'm no where near where I can find em. I see hopefully your site is plentiful, the one near me will never naturally replenish so a few trips and its pretty much finished since its illegal to break open the rocks there unless this naturally break (or by accident erm...) Oh I figured since I'm guessing your from or near Maryland you would closer to and be in Calvert or the potomac alot.

Those pesky laws, always getting in the way of things....

I go out to around Hancock (the thin part of the panhandle) and recently around emmitsburg (north of Frederick, south of Gettysburg)

because were I live in Maryland (Carroll county) is a drive to Calvert, especially with traffic. I would love to go there more and plan to.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived