Rocky Stoner

Hello friends,

I found another calyx ....or coral.

This one was deep in a split and was not exposed like the others. I lightly brushed the residue away. I left it like this for the pic to maybe aid with ID.

I think it would look much like the others if it were cleaned up.

If any other views, or exposure would help, just let me know.

Its 1.5 inches diameter.

Thanks !

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9979.JPG

IMG_9980.JPG

IMG_9982.JPG

IMG_9981.JPG

I'm sticking with crinoid calyx, see the little circle, that's the connection to the stem.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

the plates appear to be 6-sided, I vote for coral

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It was made of plates. We are looking at an empty mold now. I think the odds favor crinoid quite strongly.

beautiful regardless of what it is....the complexity of nature growing in such regular patterns, amazes me...physics at work. 

I'm going with crinoid calyx with the plates eroded away, on this one. All the plates are hexagons including the basal one which usually is pentagonal, but there are exceptions, like in the example below.

ft201605b-16.jpg.65c45a227a87f4377e8934e0dd5c5f50.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Crinoid definitely.   The clean break is along the plate lines.  Coral would probably not break like that and would go much deeper than that.  No doubt - crinoid

I think it's  Arthroacantha sp. like in your other post.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Did a bit of research.  I have come to the conclusion that you have some type of Megistocrinus.  Very common in the Devonain. Plate structure is right for a Megistocrinus.

Joe

Archived