Vertebrae fossil id help please

Benjaminpb

Me and a friend of mine were looking for fossils in a creek here in Austin Texas today when he stumbled upon this vertebrae. Any ideas what it once belonged to? Thanks

What's the age of the things you find in this creek?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yeah probably mosasaur then.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks guys. I've never heard of anyone finding anything mosasaur related here. So I'm guessing it was a pretty lucky find.

Mosasaur vertebrae have one concave and one convex end. A picture of the not shown end would help in the rule out process.

This might be a Mosasaur vertebra looking like yours:

59877912e7862_MosasaurVertebra.JPG.47b4c159e8425b6a883badb29ec2a621.JPG

picture from here

(BTW, vertebrae is the plural of vertebra.)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Is this just me ,or are "concave" and "convex" only anatomically meaningful with a direction given like "caudad",or at least "posterior" or "anterior"?

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry that the pictures aren't better.

The friend of mine who found it while we were out searching local creeks on Saturday took the pictures. I asked him to send me pictures once he got it cleaned up. Here's a better view of the other end.

IMG_5214.JPG

On 8/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, doushantuo said:

Is this just me ,or are "concave" and "convex" only anatomically meaningful with a direction given like "caudad",or at least "posterior" or "anterior"?

That is only You.

The inside of a bowl is concave and the outside is convex. It does not matter which way the bowl is facing.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Looks to be bivalve.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Benjaminpb said:

That same friend of mine found this in the same area as that vert. Any ideas? I don't want to post it on the main Id page because I feel like I'm posting too much.

IMG_4104.PNG

IMG_4105.PNG

Pictures did not load.

A new topic will get more views-- as long as it is not the same piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.