Ravenscar Marine Miscellaneous

Mctapmonkey

Hello again,

This is from Ravenscar, (the Robin Hoods bay end).

It came out of a lighter sandstone and I am hoping that someone will tell me its a coprolite.

Although given my recent record of posting non-fossils its possibly just geology.

WP_20170806_001[1].jpg

WP_20170806_002[1].jpg

Looks like a nodule from the outside, but it was split. What was the inside like? Any sign of small debris that might be the remains of dinner?

Sorry Everyone, the split showed smooth edges. No sign of debris within.

I now think nodule.

Without inclusions I would lean toward concretion as well. Just a quick note. If you ever suspect you have a coprolite, you should refrain from using glue/consolidant . Unlike fossil bone, it can be difficult to reverse the process and can interfere with chemical analysis. While the shape of a coprolite can tell us something about a creature's digestive system, at this point in time, it is almost impossible to tell what creature produced it. Therefore, the primary importance to science is what coprolites can tell us about the environment in which a creatures lived. Breakage can sometimes be a good thing. It can provide access to inclusions that can't be seen on the surface.  :)

Save a Coprolite-Thumbnail.jpg

Archived