Nervous auction Fish Fossil Asialepidotus

Seguidora-de-Isis

Good morning to everyone! Unfortunately for ID, I only have these shoddy photos! :wacko: I won this auction and it was from an American seller...

For these photos, I believe this specimen was not prepared, but I think it is real for all this reasons:

01 - In Guizhou Province, China, this fossil fish Asialepidotus is very common.

02 - I am buying in the hand of an American, and I know that before China ban the export of vertebrate fossils, thousands of Asialepidotus were exported out of the country.

03 - This fossil was not prepared, but I liked the rich details that fish have along the body, scales and so on.

What do you think? :D I appreciate all the opinions.

6851969502.png

1251406803.png

2961704504.png

4917837205.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I personally am not seeing any "red flags" on this. There is a fish that is not fully uncovered, which most fakes probably would try to give you so the buyer is getting more bang for the buck. Also, in some of the first photos, there is that white residue ( mineralization?) that many fossils have.  However, without having the item in hand to really inspect, this is only speculation from photos.

Not being familiar with these particular fossils I don't see anything that stands out and screams fake.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the fossil arrived in my country, and I received a FedEx statement that did not please me at all, since the Fossil was taxed by customs for US $68,00 Dollars. And of course this did not please me because I paid US $64,00 Dollars for this fossil. So adding all these numbers = US $132,00 Dollars invested in this fossil!

I went to open the package, but to my great surprise, there was no cardboard box, only a small piece of napkin and some plastic with bubble. Result? The fossil came here in several shards! :blink:

6648223704.png

But this, all these broken parts, was in the back of the fossil, but in the front I also had damage, because the two fish with the big impact, almost jumped out of the rock!

6719117604.png

I complained to the seller. So all he did was give me a partial refund worth US $30,00 Dollars!

No problem! I like a good fight! I hired a fossil preparer here in my City. I paid US $45,00. But the result was amazing! :yay-smiley-1:

8151881604.png

1179506304.png

6224005904.png

6807771304.png

This fish, the Triassic Middle Ages, between 270 and 210 million years ago - Falang Formation, Langmu Village, Dazhai, Dingxiao, Guizhou Province, China), is preserved in a block of shale, and shale is an extremely fragile rock, and also very difficult to photograph. But I hope that through these photos, you can have a sense of how the result of the work was. :wub:

03.PNG

Sorry to see the trouble you had. A Chinese fish I imported was broken too.

Your prepper did a great job, and you now have an amazing fossil <3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

At least the fish is still good as it is now. I literally cannot see any visible damage on the last photos except for a few small crack marks. 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

15 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Sorry to see the trouble you had. A Chinese fish I imported was broken too.

Your prepper did a great job, and you now have an amazing fossil <3

Thank you my friend -Andy- ! I was curious. What specie of fish is it from, and what was its geological age? Did you manage to restore it? You have pictures? Hugs!

03.PNG

2 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

At least the fish is still good as it is now. I literally cannot see any visible damage on the last photos except for a few small crack marks. 

Thank you my friend! In fact the fish were almost jumping from the shale rock, which is very fragile. But the prepper was able to make a filler inside, uniting the two fish back into the shale rock. And the end result was exactly the last pictures I posted. It was great for exposure, was not it? :D

Hugs! :fistbump:

03.PNG

3 hours ago, doushantuo said:

iyc56ghb.jpg

The seller informed me that it is an Asialepidotus shigyiensis ... Now I stayed in doubt ... Really can be a Malingichthys nimaiguensis? What do you think? Hugs and thank you! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

03.PNG

I don't know much about fish

Everybody knows who the fish experts are on this forum.

I'm generally not considered one.

Chinese Pdfs are sometimes littered with font errors,this was one of them.

Luckily,pix were not affected

12 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Thank you my friend -Andy- ! I was curious. What specie of fish is it from, and what was its geological age? Did you manage to restore it? You have pictures? Hugs!

It's a Paddlefish (Protopsephurus liui) from the Cretaceous-aged Yixian Formation.

There wasn't alot I could do; the two major cracks were there even before I bought it. The fossil broke into 4 pieces and i superglued it all back, and mounted it onto an wooden backing for support.

59a593596f0c4_Fish_Paddlefish1b.thumb.jpg.adbd96143906a1d29824ab6391b2628f.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 29/08/2017 at 1:19 PM, -Andy- said:

It's a Paddlefish (Protopsephurus liui) from the Cretaceous-aged Yixian Formation.

There wasn't alot I could do; the two major cracks were there even before I bought it. The fossil broke into 4 pieces and i superglued it all back, and mounted it onto an wooden backing for support.

My friend -Andy- . Even if it's  broken and glued, your fossil fish Protopsephurus liui is beautiful! I still did not know this species! Congratulations! I liked very much!  :wub:

03.PNG

On 8/29/2017 at 9:19 AM, -Andy- said:

Or maybe you could try some more advanced repairment to make the cracks invisible if it still dissatisfies you, but honestly, I don't give any dung about the cracks, just because that fish is lovely. For some reason the cracks also make it looks cooler sometimes. Too bad I'll never get that kind of fish assuming its as expensive as Green River rarities.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png