Strange object

Mctapmonkey

This is something I picked up in Panshanger Park, just outside Hertford (the original one in UK).

The site is a former gravel extraction pit now converted into a nature reserve, although the item came off  a maintained path with what could well be an imported stone surface.

Any Ideas?

WP_20170806_009[1].jpg

WP_20170806_010[1].jpg

Can we have s picture of the top?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, Mctapmonkey said:

I hope these help

WP_20170806_014[1].jpg

WP_20170806_013[1].jpg

This is a complete guess, but it looks shaped. Maybe it's the center of a large (maybe water?) wheel, the top is where it connects to the axial rod, and the little holes are where the spokes connect. This is a guess, and someone skilled in the matter will need to verify, maybe a local museum or historical society.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It looks like a fossil sponge preserved in flint.

a1.jpg.9ed91178cf0dce214cd9fa27928d3a00.jpgb1.jpg.3a1e65cd70a086b11a664a0b71439f9a.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

@abyssunder may have it. This looks somewhat similar to the Prasopora I've found in Ordovician layers (not implying this piece is Ordovician).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It looks like a fossil sponge preserved in flint.

a1.jpg.9ed91178cf0dce214cd9fa27928d3a00.jpgb1.jpg.3a1e65cd70a086b11a664a0b71439f9a.jpg

BAM!  Spot on!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The posted by me one (was on online sale) is from Braintree, Essex, UK, and was found in flint gravels eroded from the Chalk during the Ice Age, as the seller said.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library