Carbondale, PA

frankh8147

I took to trip to the Poconos this weekend and stopped by Carbondale for a hunt (thanks Jeffrey P  for the info on it)! I think I did well and had a really fun trip. It was a little tricky to get there but definitely worth it! I found several fossils ferns and other plants as well as fossil bark - I'm not 100% done going though them yet, but these are my favorites of the trip. On the last two, I would appreciate any info. on what they may be. Thanks!

carbon81.jpg

carbon55.jpg

carbon7.jpg

carbon87.jpg

carbon1.jpg

carbon2.jpg

Awesome finds man! Looks like you did very well. Hopefully we can plan out a hunt in the next few coming weeks.

: )

12 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I took to trip to the Poconos this weekend and stopped by Carbondale for a hunt (thanks Jeffrey P  for the info on it)! I think I did well and had a really fun trip. It was a little tricky to get there but definitely worth it! I found several fossils ferns and other plants as well as fossil bark - I'm not 100% done going though them yet, but these are my favorites of the trip. On the last two, I would appreciate any info. on what they may be. Thanks!

carbon81.jpg

carbon55.jpg

carbon7.jpg

carbon87.jpg

carbon1.jpg

carbon2.jpg

You found some very nice specimens! I believe the 5th pic is Calamites sp. and the 6th pic is Annularia and possibly Neuropteris sp.  

Below are Pics of Annularia and Neuropteris sp. from Google images. :) 

Leah

IMG_8772.PNG

IMG_8770.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

Really nice finds, Frank. Looks like a good cross section of the kind of plant material that one can find at the site. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I'm going to try to get there later in the fall.

You made some really nice finds there. Congratulations.  I greatly enjoyed a collecting trip there a few years ago, and I put a couple of my small finds on this week's rolling auction to support the forum. The ferns don't have the white coating like those at St. Clair, (now closed to collecting) but the Carbondale is definitely worth a trip. It looks like you found more than one annularia fossils, and a fine bark specimen, maybe Lepidodendron. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thank you everyone for the congrats and the ID help. I found a few of those annularia - they caught my eye during the trip and are some of my favorites of the group (although I like the ferns too!)

Nice finds Frank! Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.