South Carolina Eclipse Trip Fossil Sites?

Kurt Komoda

Hello! I'm making a 10 hour drive from NJ down to Columbia, SC for the total eclipse, September 20-22 (the eclipse is on the 21st). Looks like I picked a hotel location at least an hour and a half from any spots I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere (Colleton State Park, Summerville, Folly Beach, Edisto Beach, etc). Re-booking a new location is not happening since I just looked at hotels.com and saw only red throughout the entire area. Haven't seen too many 2017 posts for South Carolina and I'm nervous about all this mention of strict regulations and permits. Any tips or suggestions? I'm reading that some areas- esp. the beach areas- will be crazy because of eclipse event traffic. Strange, since you just need to be able to see the sun, so I'm not sure why people need to get to someplace special as long as their within the path.  I guess people want to be somewhere nice. I wouldn't mind it if I were fossil hunting during the eclipse.

I would check the path of totality then cross reference any fossil sites close to or on a particular site. I would search this site using the names of towns or cities around the area you're staying to see if a trip report has been posted with the site location and the details of the site.

Im sure there are members that might be in that area who would love to meet up and hunt with you on that day if thats your intent. My wife and I are heading to Kemmerer, Wyoming to meet up with Minnbuckeye the day before the eclipse and do some hunting at Sseths fish quarry. We were originally going to be in Idaho that day hunting the Spence shale, but upon learnimg he'd be there we just had to alter our plans. 

Good luck, be safe and happy hunting!

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Just a head's-up: the eclipse is August 21st.  If you come down in September you'll be a month late.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Kurt Komoda said:

for the total eclipse, September 20-22 (the eclipse is on the 21st).

As Fossildawg said -- the eclipse is August 21.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Wow, I totally screwed up in typing that! Don't worry, my hotel reservations are absolutely for August 20-22. I have this Lovecraft event up in Rhode Island til Saturday the 19th and then going down to Columbia, SC on Sunday. A lot of driving that week.