Can't identify this.

Guy Macdonald

Can anyone identify this? Found at Filey beach, Uk. Along the base of the coastal wall. I'm guessing some small fish bones or a partial bug fossil, if even that it could be just nothing, thanks.

IMG_0017.JPG

The rock is the size of my palm so this comes out at about a 10p coin here in uk

It looks like a hinge of a shell, maybe scallop.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Carbonised leaf print?

I'm hoping it's some sort of leaf would be the first in my collection 

12 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Carbonised leaf print?

My instinct as well. The rock texture seems like a poor fit to me though.

It looks too irregular shaped for a plant leaf or a graptolite, but it might be a good match for phenocryst .  If it's black colored, it could be Augite. Just a thought.

1353-09_06.15_1-gabbro-augite-phenocrysts-11-cm1.jpg.65aa4a31e3b08423f15a1ed1b1037934.jpg

Gabbro with large augite phenocrysts embedded in white plagioclase. These two are the principal minerals in this rock. Tangen, Norway. Width of sample 11 cm.

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It's hard to tell from the photo, but is the white deposit on top if the black material?

i could tell if the white material had flaked off exposing the black material.

im thinking this is some sort of mineralogical phenomenon and not a fossil.

The white and black deposits could be crystals that have formed in a fracture surface in sedimentary rock, not on a bedding plane.

• I found this Informative 1