Fixing mistake for Tumido crab

RJB

About a year to two ago I went on the prep attack on this crab from New Zealand.  of course I picked the wrong side!   My compressor went on the blink about 2 weeks ago so, being bored,  I decided to repair this ventral side so that I can go on the prep attack on the dorsal side,,,,, someday.   I glued back on a big piece of rock and then filled the void with a bunch of rock-ite with some black coloring and covered with tape to hold its shape.   Once dried and cured I will simply sand it to the shape of the rock, then I can turn it over and start prepping.   Aways something, but now its almost ready. 

RB

Tumido001A.JPG

Ok, took this baby to my table belt sander and cleaned it up.  Its now ready for prep on the correct side. 

RB

DSCN1209.JPG

Hey @ynot, I hope you have lots of popcorn?  its gunna be awhile before i can go on the prep attack on this thing.  gots lots of projects to do first. 

RB

13 hours ago, ynot said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::thumbsu:

:hearty-laugh:

Waiting for prep projects to complete is the reason for this country's rise in morbid obesity.  I figure ynot/Tony will be about 400 pounds by the time you finish.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Waiting for prep projects to complete is the reason for this country's rise in morbid obesity.  I figure ynot/Tony will be about 400 pounds by the time you finish.

I got a good weapon against that "morbid obesity" stuff. I just go out to the desert and spend a week rockhounding.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaalrighty then, super nice to have my compressor working again.  Did about 4 hours of rock removal on the 'correct' side and ran into the carapace.   Just super nice to find 'CRAB'!!!   A long ways to go, but thats with most fossils in concretions.  At least the kind i work on.  This rock has about 20 more hours or so, but should turn out nice?  At least its not 'sticky'!!!  

RB

Tumido001C.JPG

Ok, 6 more hours into this concretion.  Its not the best preservation on the carapace, a little but 'sticky' on part but ive seen a heck of alot worse!!!  Followed one leg out on the left side and looking purty darn good.  I can see now that this one is going to take at least 40 hours. 

RB

Tumido001D.JPG

14 hours ago, RJB said:

I can see now that this one is going to take at least 40 hours. 

OUCH!  That is a labor of love!:wub:

Good luck.

(I will put more pop corn on the grill.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@Ptychodus04, it does look large in the photo, but for this species, its a bit on the smaller side of average.  Good thing too, means more leg and when it comes to the fossil crabs, im a leg man.

@ynot, a labor of love,,,,, and pain.   After yesterdays 6 hours of prep i had a sore neck and two very akey hands one sore forearm.  I cant prep like I use too.  :(

RB

I did a brutal 8 hour prep session today on this thing.  Fun though.  Gots lots of stuff uncovered.  It has lots of little problems, some stickyness in spots and some calcite that will have to be cleaned up, but its coming along quite nicely for a crab that is not very well preserved.  All in all, I think its going to be a rather nice crab.  All 4 legs on the right side adn even though you cant see them,  all 4 legs on the left side too.  Just a matter of removing more rock.  The 4th leg on the left side is taking a rather steep dive but thats mother nature.  I just do what I can with the rock.  And like always, its got a long ways to go.  At least its starting to look like a crab.

RB

Tumido001E.JPG

42 minutes ago, RJB said:

At least its starting to look like a crab.

RB

It certainly is! I must say, I really admire your patience and tenacity.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I did a brutal 8 hour prep session today on this thing.  Fun though.  Gots lots of stuff uncovered.  It has lots of little problems, some stickyness in spots and some calcite that will have to be cleaned up, but its coming along quite nicely for a crab that is not very well preserved.  All in all, I think its going to be a rather nice crab.  All 4 legs on the right side adn even though you cant see them,  all 4 legs on the left side too.  Just a matter of removing more rock.  The 4th leg on the left side is taking a rather steep dive but thats mother nature.  I just do what I can with the rock.  And like always, its got a long ways to go.  At least its starting to look like a crab.

RB

Tumido001E.JPG

Awesome Ron

Cephalopods rule!!

Thanks for the kudo's fella's.    I did another 6 1/2 hours on this thing today.  Its starting to look purty dang good now.  Ive got a lot of 3-D'ing to do before I can do any rock smoothing, but by golly,,,,,, its gettin there.    Woooooop!!!   Woooooooop!!!!  Ive got one very sore finger though.    Oh, check out those freakin legs!!!   Gots all 8 of them.  Im falling in love.  :)

RB

Tumido001F.JPG

Ha!!!  Funny guy @Ptychodus04,  Ive got tuff finger nails!!!   I havent used my scribe much in the last two months and the side of my middle finger on my right hand where the scribe is always at usually has a calous on it.  I got a bit soft in the last two months.   I have to toughen up.  Should'nt take long?

RB

13 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks for the kudo's fella's.    I did another 6 1/2 hours on this thing today.  Its starting to look purty dang good now.  Ive got a lot of 3-D'ing to do before I can do any rock smoothing, but by golly,,,,,, its gettin there.    Woooooop!!!   Woooooooop!!!!  Ive got one very sore finger though.    Oh, check out those freakin legs!!!   Gots all 8 of them.  Im falling in love.  :)

RB

Tumido001F.JPG

Looking really nice there Ron.

Interesting colour on this one.

Alrighty then.  almost 6 more hours into this thing.  Done lots of 3-D'ing and by golly that does take some time.  Ive still got another 5 hours or so to get this crab ready for 'rock smoothing' and then about 3 or 4 more hours of clean up.  but its gettin there!  Lots of time for these, but they sure do make for one heck of a nice fossil!!!

RB

Tumido001G.JPG

Archived