Pre prep for Phareodus Fish

RJB

Three summers ago myself and my two younger sons were digging in the bottom cap just below the 18 inch layer.  We found dozens and dozens of fish!  My middle son brought some pieces to camp for me too look at.  We camp right there in the quarry.  At first look I was not too impressed, but put all the pieces into a box to take home and look at later.  I can now see that it may be a really good Phareodus?  I cut off a couple of pieces to make it easier to glue onto a piece of cement board and then begin prep.  there will be some areas of rock building and one area of rebuilding some actual fish that is missing.  But over all its looks purty dang good.   The rock is very dense and very hard and the bone is very hard too.  I can use a half bi-carb and half dolomite mix media to finish it up after all the air scribing first.  My fingers are crossed.  If I can get this done, it will go to my middle son for Christmas.   Wooooop  wooooop!!!

RB

Phareodus001A.JPG

Looks promising! Can't wait to see what you make of it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

nice looking rock there Ron.

You are correct, most of the commercial guys don't even pull capping because it is so hard and time consuming to work on!

That being said, it should display some LOVELY dark colour

Can't wait to see it finished

@FossilDudeCO, you are absolutely correct Blake, but i really do love that super hard rock.   I have lots and lots more to do with some really outstanding fossil fish from those layers. 

RB

I'm looking forward to seeing your fossil magic, Ron.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Well, you posted this seven hours ago. Is it finished yet?!  Looks like an interesting fix/ prep. Looking forward to completed photos as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got around to gluing this up.  Gots a long ways to go, but this part is done.  Looks like a piece of cow poop right now, but i think with some TLC it might turn out purty good? 

RB

Casey001B.JPG

This whole string seems a little fishy to me. :P

Can't wait to see what you do with this guy. The one you're sending to me must really be a mess if you kept this for yourself to work on.

:rofl:

Hey @Ptychodus04, Im doing this one for my son.  The one I sent you has a facial problem with a lower jaw that is backwards.  Thats the part of im afraid of?   The rest of the fish im sending you is in perty good shape?  and very close to the surface.  There is also an anomally going through part of the fish.  Not sure what kind of problems you will run into with that?  Should be a small problem?   Your gunna find out, thats for sure.  Ha!!!  :)

RB

I picked this fish up and stood it with light at an angle so i could see whats going on.  Looks like it may have a major facial problem!!!?   I will prep out the head first and see.  My fingers are crossed, but its not lookin good.

RB

I cut out a piece of concrete board for this fish and glued it onto it.  I dont think I will do any rock repair/rebuilding till I scribe out the head area and see whats there?   Just doesnt seem to be enough bumps in the rock for a complete head?   I am very nervouse.  If no head or a very messed up head, then Im not sure if I will finish the prep on it?   Lots of question marks so far.   Oh, I did take my 4 inch grinder with diamond blade and using the side of it I flattened out the bottom side of the slab to make it sit flatter onto the concrete board before I glued it up.  

RB

Casey001C.JPG

• 6 months later...

Ok, its been quite awhile since I got around to doing any scribe work on this, but this after about 10 hours of prep.  Gots a long ways to go, but so far its looking purty dang good!!!  I know, it looks like a piece of cow poop, but really, with a lot more work, some repair and cutting the rock in just the right shape, it just may turn out really nice.  I home my middle son likes it.  This one is taking some serious hours!!!

RB

Casey001D.JPG

Looking good!  You missed last Christmas, so will this now be a gift for your son next Christmas?

And what did you use to glue it to the board?  I may have to do something similar for my Priscacara.

11 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

And what did you use to glue it to the board?  I may have to do something similar for my Priscacara

Type 2 silicone.

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Was the work all done with an air scribe or did you use other methods?

Besides cutting the rock with a diamond blade, all ive used so far is my ME9100 scribe.

RB

Ok, almost another 7 hours into this thing and still have about 6 or 7 more hours to finish up the ruffing out.  Fins are tuff!!!   Still have to fix some rock and also fix the missing part of the anal fin.  The good news is that I broke down and payed the moneys for an air dryer.  Quite nervous about that, but once I get it hooked up and working, I should be able to get started on doing my air abrasive work.  Gots lots of fishy's to finish!!!

RB

Casey001E.JPG

On 3/4/2018 at 12:27 AM, RJB said:

Ok, its been quite awhile since I got around to doing any scribe work on this, but this after about 10 hours of prep.  Gots a long ways to go, but so far its looking purty dang good!!!  I know, it looks like a piece of cow poop, but really, with a lot more work, some repair and cutting the rock in just the right shape, it just may turn out really nice.  I home my middle son likes it.  This one is taking some serious hours!!!

RB

I would hang it as is ;P

3 minutes ago, Phevo said:

I would hang it as is ;P

No, i still have a ways to go, but its gunna be 1000 percent better once I git it finished.  Just needs more time.

RB

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That would be like using a piece of furniture without sanding, staining, or finishing it.

"Rustic furniture?" :P

Archived