Cleaning fossils for amateurs.

Guy Macdonald

Hi guys, so I've been fossil hunting for about 2 months now, whenever I find a fossil I bring it home, soak it in water and gently scrub it with a spare toothbrush. Can anyone link me and advise me on some basic tools like chisels and picks that I can safely use to prep/clean my fossils, I often find ammonites, plant fossils, shell fossils and others. Thanks a lot for your help the web is like a maze for this stuff thought I'd just come straight here where the experts are lol, cheers.

2 minutes ago, Guy Macdonald said:

Hi guys, so I've been fossil hunting for about 2 months now, whenever I find a fossil I bring it home, soak it in water and gently scrub it with a spare toothbrush. Can anyone link me and advise me on some basic tools like chisels and picks that I can safely use to prep/clean my fossils, I often find ammonites, plant fossils, shell fossils and others. Thanks a lot for your help the web is like a maze for this stuff thought I'd just come straight here where the experts are lol, cheers.

There are a multitude of tools used for preparing fossils. From the simple dental pick to air abratores.

Check out the threads under the "fossil preparations" sub forum and You should find a lot of information on the subject.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just be careful submerging everything in water. Many fossils do not fair well when wet.  All depends on state of preservation, type of matrix extracted from, etc., etc.  Plus lots of items like many plant fossils are a mere carbon film which could disentagrate if scrubbed with a brush. I would hate to here you found a prize specimen only to destroy it trying to clean it up.  Lots of sample experimentation on lesser examples might be in order.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Like @caldigger said it can be site dependent. There are so many different modes of preservation.

It also depends on your budget. 

For example I collect from two very different sites. Both Miocene. One site the fossils can be prepped using a needle, scalpel and brush, with consolidation (protection) with a solution of Butvar (PVA beads dissolved in acetone). The matrix is unconsolidated and removes easily.

The other site has fossil crabs and other things in a very hard matrix. This can be removed using chisels, engravers or airscribes, in increasing order of expense and likelihood of success.

In saying that though, I started off with an engraver and you can get good results, scribes are just much better. My engravers cost be between $10 and $30.

It would probably be best for you to post some pics of the most common fossils you would want to work on and we can help you from there.

Speaking of engravers, I got one but wasn't thrilled with the stubby blunt tip it comes with. I researched "our favorite" auction sight and found some needle tips from a Chinese dealer advertising them as fossil prepping tips. They were very inexpensive ( set of six for $4.00 with free shipping) and they are made of hardened steel. I have used one tip so far on several fossils with no sign of dulling. I couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately, I have neuropathy in the hand I hold the engraver with so I can't use for very long. I am sure a scribe would do me better, but this old man is on a tight budget.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I recently bought a little engraver with steel needles, it's very useful to clean fossils off when the matrix is hard, but the vibrations can break them.

On siliceous shells without a lot of calcite, you can use acid piece.

You can also use tools for jewelry.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

26 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Speaking of engravers, I got one but wasn't thrilled with the stubby blunt tip it comes with. I researched "our favorite" auction sight and found some needle tips from a Chinese dealer advertising them as fossil prepping tips. They were very inexpensive ( set of six for $4.00 with free shipping) and they are made of hardened steel. I have used one tip so far on several fossils with no sign of dulling. I couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately, I have neuropathy in the hand I hold the engraver with so I can't use for very long. I am sure a scribe would do me better, but this old man is on a tight budget.

That was one if my major problems too.

I ended up with a Dremel engraver for bulk removal (very loud) and a no-name brand engraver with a fine tip and adjustable vibration. The local hardware store carried this brand. Great except I found with extended periods of use the engravers got really hot and would short out with a loud bang. Guess that's what you get for cheap engravers!

The Dremel was more reliable but had lots of wobble on the bit - more sideways movement.

I upgraded to scribes from paleotools and the difference is incredible. The work is possible with engravers, but so much easier with scribes. I bet those tips would make a huge difference though. I had to modify the tungsten carbide tips for fine work.

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem as well but with both of my hands. Between this hobby & my other hobby of making arrowheads, it gets to be incredibly painful. I'm afraid I'm going to have to give one of the hobbies up before I push myself to the point of not being able to do either. 

I was just looking at some air scribes last night & after reading through this topic, I've made up my mind to get one. 

Hi, I have some small fossil plates, most recently from the Falls of Ohio Fossil Park free dig pile. Crinoids and more with small areas of super hard dry mud/dirt on them. Time in the ultrasonic cleaner with dish soap or laundry detergent hard does anything. Any tips for softening and removing it? No power tools but to see if anything nice is covered up. Thanks