ID? Can you help Verify this...

davebc15

I am working for a non-profit and am attempting to ID this fossil from their collection.  It was dredged up by a fishing trawler south of Long Island, NY in the 1950s.  The vessel was still above the continental shelf.  An "expert" from a Natural History Museum, probably in NYC, since that is where the vessel was from, stated that it was from the Mesozoic, but I have no other details about the identification.  I'm not so sure that it is Mesozoic in origin, but I'd welcome any other identifications.

Thanks!

Here's a link to the fossil pics:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx-miOxgtIbUSU8ybWpYaHJpT1k?usp=sharing

Welcome to TFF!

Please post the pictures here as links can go dead and leave a thread meaningless.

Also some of Us do not like to go off site to view pictures,

Thank You,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the feedback, Tony! The pics are HD, so they exceeded the 3.95MB limit.  I'll try to post one at a time...

File_009.jpeg

I agree, mastodon tooth.  Definitely not from the Mesozoic! Pleistocene would be more likely.  Fossils of ice-age mammals are occasionally dredged up by fishing vessels, because so much water was locked up in glaciers during glaciation episodes that the sea level fell dramatically, and so much of the continental shelf was dry land and therefore habitat for those animals.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I knew it wasn't Mesozoic when I first looked at it - I have an MS in Paleontology and knew it was mammalian.  However, living in New England, we don't get a lot of Pleistocene fossils.

Thanks for the reference picture! That will go well with my report for Mystic Seaport!

46 minutes ago, davebc15 said:

I knew it wasn't Mesozoic when I first looked at it - I have an MS in Paleontology and knew it was mammalian.  However, living in New England, we don't get a lot of Pleistocene fossils.

Thanks for the reference picture! That will go well with my report for Mystic Seaport!

Is Mystic Seaport your blog? Sorry I can't see signatures on my tablet so it might be there.