Mississippi Cretaceous period

Jrh38654

I found the following samples today in northeastern Mississippi at the Cretaceous park site. I'm curious what the little fossilized designs in item 1 are. And I'm thinking item 3 may be a tooth of sorts? 

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

I also found this tooth and was wondering if it was a modern deer tooth, or fossilized something? Does anyone have any advice on how to tell? 

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

1 looks like bryozoans. One way to tell if something is fossil or not (at least with bone) is the burn test, but this is destructive.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 bryozoan.

2 need more pictures.

3 need more pictures.

4 bovid tooth.

The "burn" test- hold a flame to a suspect bone and if it is recent it will smell like burning hair.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I just see the topic, and I agree with the others.

For 2, here are comparative specimens.

gryphaeostrea-vomer-2.thumb.jpg.e4d47086d5fa385d81bbc0cd9d98586c.jpgIMG_3942.JPG.3cf61dca3d27630677452dc3d28fa9ff.thumb.JPG.90f589ff044c8945182378b270cfc713.JPG261684.jpg.28d93595cc2de97fe67dadfcb4dbaa95.jpg

comparative pictures from here and here

Specimen 4 looks to be deer cheek tooth. I would use Harry's gallery picture for comparative reason.

IMG_3946.JPG.928a0e3a2e7483ff92f69f04253d2729.thumb.JPG.06ed58085f548eb3a9e7af103e65415f.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 looks like a gastropod operculum

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 is base of Ischyriza mira mira rostral denticle.

4 is a modern, unfossilized deer tooth.

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The bryo piece looks so Paleozoic.. are you sure it's Cretaceous?

I'm not sure, I'm just basing it off what the site is known for. It is a creek in northeastern MS that is full of shark teeth from the Cretaceous.

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The bryo piece looks so Paleozoic.. are you sure it's Cretaceous?

could be a paleozoic river transported erratic but if the rocks right we do have bryozoa in the eastern cretaceous.

The site is in the Cretaceous Demopolis formation. I have found Paleozoic stuff in the concrete/gravel they use to fill the parking lot.

PLAX hit the nail on the head. There is a rip-rap revetment along the creek you are collecting near Baldwyn, Miss. (and, regrettably, along many streams in MS and elsewhere). The rip-rap is composed of limestone boulders derived largely from limestones of Mississippian age (Paleozoic Era) in NW Alabama, largely the Tuscumbia Fm (or so I am led to understand). That hard, crystalline limestone, which, again, is not native to that specific area, can be abundant with fenestrate bryozoans, including Archimedes. Your rock above looks as though it may have captured a tangential section of an Archimedes colony.

6 hours ago, Dunnicrinus said:

PLAX hit the nail on the head. There is a rip-rap revetment along the creek you are collecting near Baldwyn, Miss. (and, regrettably, along many streams in MS and elsewhere). The rip-rap is composed of limestone boulders derived largely from limestones of Mississippian age (Paleozoic Era) in NW Alabama, largely the Tuscumbia Fm (or so I am led to understand). That hard, crystalline limestone, which, again, is not native to that specific area, can be abundant with fenestrate bryozoans, including Archimedes. Your rock above looks as though it may have captured a tangential section of an Archimedes colony.

Excellent explanation, welcome to the site and hope to see you here often.

We see this type of erosion control here around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and find things totally out of context with the surrounding deposits.

Bone2stone

Archived